Freescan: Why is it double-zipped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fpmacko

Has the download always been double-zipped?

A zip archive inside of a zip archive can be dangerous because it can be used as a decompression bomb. (Google it.) I'm not saying that this is the case here, but I'm REALLY reluctant to take a chance on this. Besides, Windows 10 blocks the download so I would need to download from a different PC. The author says to ignore the warning. But what if the site has been hacked?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I suspect that's a typo - try pointing to the download and see how it resolves in your browser. I'm betting that this is what you'll find. FS has been used by numerous folks without issue.

There have been occasional issues with Virus checkers thinking that there's something there, but there isn't.

Mike

kmi8dy

i had trouble when i first starting using it. norton was refusing to down load it, i was using windows ten at the time. so i went into norton and turned off virus and it downloaded fine.turned norton virus back on. then i did a complete scan using norton, and everything was ok. basicually turned out to be a false positive.

fpmacko

Yep. The URL decodes correctly so the double zip filename extension on the web page must be a typo. I downloaded it here at work on a different OS so I'll give it a try this evening. Win 10 didn't even give me the option to allow the download. And the link to microsoft to get further details on why it was blocked results in a 404.

Thanks!

Frank/WA3NHK

Status
Not open for further replies.