ProScan: comm port already in use on restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkneeyahx

Human
my apologies if this issue has been addressed in a previous post. i've searched the forums and could not find a similar topic.

i'm running Proscan 11.2, BCD996P2, Windows 10.

i have Proscan set to run on startup. if my system reboots Proscan can't connect to the comm port. this also happens if i shut Proscan down and restart it. I go into the comm port settings and it says that the comm port is already in use by this instance.

i have to manually turn off the radio and turn it back on, then run the Proscan auto detect in the comm port settings in order for Proscan to see it in the list.

has anyone else experienced this issue? if so, any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you!

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
my apologies if this issue has been addressed in a previous post. i've searched the forums and could not find a similar topic.

i have Proscan set to run on startup. if my system reboots Proscan can't connect to the comm port. this also happens if i shut Proscan down and restart it. I go into the comm port settings and it says that the comm port is already in use by this instance.

i have to manually turn off the radio and turn it back on, then run the Proscan auto detect in the comm port settings in order for Proscan to see it in the list.

has anyone else experienced this issue? if so, any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you!
Yes, I have exactly as you described.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Same issue on my end. Not only on Windows 10, but Windows 7 as well.

And the problem with turning the scanner on, and off all the time is wear on the On/Off switch, but you also lose your temporary L/O's!

Thanks for posting! I will still troubleshooting on my end, but apparently the problem isn't just affecting my system.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber

thank you!

I'll look at this within a week on the issues of comm port in use and why ProScan doesn't auto resume communicating with the scanner. At this point I believe the BCD996P2 will require a power cycle after the computer restarts due to the design of the driver.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
This is a known issue with the BCD996P2 when using the front USB port.

The 996P2 is based on the 996XT design, except that the proprietary front serial port design was changed to a USB port, with an internal serial-to-USB converter.

Something occurs with the internal serial-to-USB convertor or driver that will not properly release control under certain circumstances, such as a PC reboot. The scanner must be power cycled in order to reset it to normal operation.

The only surefire workaround is to use the rear port instead of the front port. We finally gave up on playing games with the front ports, and bought quality USB to serial adapters for the rear port (TRENDnet), and haven't had any issues since.

pkneeyahx

Human
This is a known issue with the BCD996P2 when using the front USB port.

The 996P2 is based on the 996XT design, except that the proprietary front serial port design was changed to a USB port, with an internal serial-to-USB converter.

Something occurs with the internal serial-to-USB convertor or driver that will not properly release control under certain circumstances, such as a PC reboot. The scanner must be power cycled in order to reset it to normal operation.

The only surefire workaround is to use the rear port instead of the front port. We finally gave up on playing games with the front ports, and bought quality USB to serial adapters for the rear port (TRENDnet), and haven't had any issues since.

@GTR8000
I'll switch to using the rear port. I had been under the impression it was strictly for GPS devices.

@ProScan
thanks for looking into this. I'm glad I finally posed this question to the forum. i thought i was the only one and it was a "me" issue.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
This definitely looks like a Uniden USB port driver issue. I tested it today, with Butel's ARC-XT, and had the same experience.

pkneeyahx

Human
I've switched to using the rear serial port with great success. The menu on the radio says "set gps baudrate", which basically means set baudrate for the rear serial port. works great now.

Status
Not open for further replies.