ARC536: Need help making radio comm unit numbers display

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4UVV

I am using ARC536PRO and successfully did the DMR upgrade. I am using the 4 line scanner display and additionally am using the Virtual Control display on my WinXP OS computer. Everything seems to work as expected except a vehicle's radio unit number to display.

I deselected all other radio systems and am monitoring only the new FL for a high volume comm medical transport operation in Richmond, VA about 25 miles from me using MOTOTRBO Capacity Plus trs. The signal is fine and a new talkgroup displays only the number which is correct. After I id the talkgroup user which appears to be a total of four to present, I make the appropriate updates to ARC536PRO...no problem with talkgroups and updating my 536.

However, each medical van uses a computer tablet for either voice or data comms. I know I cannot receive data text comms. I hear both the dispatcher and van unit voice comms fine. But the van's radio unit does not display as a unit id on my 536 display or on the Virtual Control computer display.

Can anyone tell me what setting to change or how to correct the problem? There is a separate section in ARC536PRO for UIDs which require manual entries. I thought those were separate from radio unit's ids. Since I see no unit ids display either in a van initiated comm or dispatcher originated comm where only the talkgroup displays, what do I do to make mobile radio unit id display?

Any help will be appreciated.

John

W4UVV

No UID user settings

Make sure you have radio id's are turned on. Also they may not be using radio id's.

There are no user options for UID either discussed in the help "User Manual" for the ARC536PRO or within the program. There only is a UID section below the site level for entering UID numbers as a list.
Tnx for your reply.

John
W4UVV

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It is a setting you make directly on the scanner, rather than in ARC.

To display Unit IDs, you'll need to set the Display Mode to Mode 2 (Unit ID Mode) and have the 3 Line Mode Off.

You get to these settings on the scanner by pressing Menu>Display Options.

W4UVV

It worked!

It is a setting you make directly on the scanner, rather than in ARC.

To display Unit IDs, you'll need to set the Display Mode to Mode 2 (Unit ID Mode) and have the 3 Line Mode Off.

You get to these settings on the scanner by pressing Menu>Display Options.

Wow. Thanks for the info. I am in my 536 almost daily doing editing updates, etc., and never noticed that selection. The 536 displaying UIDS great now. I still don't know if the UID is being displayed from one of the large list of UIDs I entered yesterday. If not, is the UID being decoded from the actual comm transmission? I can find out by doing a cut and save post to a blank Word document and see what happens. If nothing then I will reverse the process and cut/paste back to the UID list I created.

So far browsing I have not found any discussion of UIDs in the 536 manual. Thanks much for your time and help.

John
W4UVV

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Unit ID information is something contained in the data stream of Motorola, EDACS and APCO P25 systems. If the system you are monitoring is not one of those systems, you won't see any UID information.

It is sort of along the lines of the alpha tag for a Talkgroup ID. The scanner "captures" the number during the transmission. It then looks at the list programmed in the scanner. If finds a match, the alpha tag will be displayed rather than the number.

If you see neither a UID or an alpha tag, chances are good that it isn't the right kind of system for the scanner to deal with a UID. If it is the "right" kind of system, you will see either the raw UID number, or an alpha tag. "Raw" UIDs being displayed mean that there isn't an alpha tag programmed for that UID.

I have a boatload of UID information for the system I monitor. Rather than using a Word document, I use Excel for editing and then copying/pasting into the programming software.

W4UVV

536 UIDS

Unit ID information is something contained in the data stream of Motorola, EDACS and APCO P25 systems. If the system you are monitoring is not one of those systems, you won't see any UID information.

It is sort of along the lines of the alpha tag for a Talkgroup ID. The scanner "captures" the number during the transmission. It then looks at the list programmed in the scanner. If finds a match, the alpha tag will be displayed rather than the number.

If you see neither a UID or an alpha tag, chances are good that it isn't the right kind of system for the scanner to deal with a UID. If it is the "right" kind of system, you will see either the raw UID number, or an alpha tag. "Raw" UIDs being displayed mean that there isn't an alpha tag programmed for that UID.

I have a boatload of UID information for the system I monitor. Rather than using a Word document, I use Excel for editing and then copying/pasting into the programming software.

-----------------
Very good. Tnx. for the info. I am monitoring a high comm volume DMR (MOTOTRBO) Medical transport service in Richmond, VA. I just cut and pasted the UID list as a backup to Excel. I knew about Excel for that purpose. I've used it before. I don't know what I was thinking.

I never was a fan of logging UIDs but presently I wanted to see how they would be detected and displayed on my 536. Now I know. So far the UIDS are doing great iding and also the talkgroup dispatcher and matching UID. The shuttle vans use tablet computers and can also do data comms to dispatcher or other vans.

I doubt I will pursue UIDS logging much but now I know what to do when I want to do it. Tnx. again.

John
W4UVV

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I don't know much about DMR stuff, but I suspect because it isn't one of those formats listed as dealing with UIDs, it probably does not. DMR was a later "add-on" from Uniden and I can see why UID may not be "do-able".

Pretty much the only reason I log UIDs, is to discover new IDs. The list I have is for our local fire service and as time has gone along, new fire apparatus has come on line. They use a system where the call sign is a part of the UID, so once I see the new number, I'll be able to figure it out.

W4UVV

DMR UIDs working ok

I don't know much about DMR stuff, but I suspect because it isn't one of those formats listed as dealing with UIDs, it probably does not. DMR was a later "add-on" from Uniden and I can see why UID may not be "do-able".

Pretty much the only reason I log UIDs, is to discover new IDs. The list I have is for our local fire service and as time has gone along, new fire apparatus has come on line. They use a system where the call sign is a part of the UID, so once I see the new number, I'll be able to figure it out.

--------------------
The 536 was iding UIDs fine in the DMR system I was monitoring yesterday. Personally, I don't care about UID monitoring. However, there are some guys who like to see them for law enforcement and FD activity as your referenced.

Actually, what I was seeing on the 536 displays were the van's radio id numbers as each van driver had a unique "unit" number id assigned to each by name.

I have a friend who belongs to our county's VFD took my advice and recently bought a 536 and I programed it for him. Because I was unsure about UIDs and the 536 at the time I didn't mention it. However, I know when I tell him UIDs will work he probably will be at my home within 15 minutes wanting me to show him how to set the UIDs display options.

John
W4UVV

Status
Not open for further replies.