RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Scanner Programming Software

Scanner Programming Software - This is the place to discuss third party scanner programming and control software.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2017, 10:57 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Angry Radio Shack 20-047 Driver

Hello All

So I have been using this cable for over 10 years and also with Windows 10 with zero problems. After the Windows 10 Creators update the cable will not work and I still have the original driver CD but cannot get 10 to work with it.

Any suggestions or where I can get a driver for it that works with windows 10?

Thank you

Ermin
Old 05-18-2017, 11:25 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Do a Google search on "how to disable driver enforcement for Windows 10." The driver is fine, it's Windows that is causing the problem here. Once you disable driver enforcement, you will be able to load the driver from the CD and it should work.

Be aware that there have been reports of these drivers being disabled by Windows during a Windows Update. In other words, just because you managed to get it to work this time doesn't mean that it will work next month until you go through the whole driver enforcement disable rigmarole all over again. Just something to make our hobby a little more "challenging."
Old 05-19-2017, 11:04 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ11DLN View Post
Do a Google search on "how to disable driver enforcement for Windows 10." The driver is fine, it's Windows that is causing the problem here. Once you disable driver enforcement, you will be able to load the driver from the CD and it should work.

Be aware that there have been reports of these drivers being disabled by Windows during a Windows Update. In other words, just because you managed to get it to work this time doesn't mean that it will work next month until you go through the whole driver enforcement disable rigmarole all over again. Just something to make our hobby a little more "challenging."

Tried several times and did not work. Windows says that it cannot find a driver for the device on the cd. This is the first time I've ever had a problem with this. Since it occured just after the windows 10 major update that has to be the cause. Anyone with another suggestions? I really appreciate the help.

Ermin
Old 05-19-2017, 12:36 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermin View Post
Tried several times and did not work. Windows says that it cannot find a driver for the device on the cd. This is the first time I've ever had a problem with this. Since it occured just after the windows 10 major update that has to be the cause. Anyone with another suggestions? I really appreciate the help.

Ermin
New update. Now I tried my RT Systems cable for my Icom ham radio and it has the same problem.

AND my cable for my Baofeng which worked perfectly before the big update does not work either.
Old 05-19-2017, 2:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

+1. Keep trying, this is the root of your problems. Windows now has (well, has had for awhile) this wonderful "papa knows best" function built into it, to keep you from installing something potentially hazardous. Unfortunately, MS went about 3 steps too far with it.

Of the things stolen in my little break-in episode last fall, I'm now pretty sure that my good old Windows 7 laptop is what I miss the most.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:17 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ11DLN View Post
+1. Keep trying, this is the root of your problems. Windows now has (well, has had for awhile) this wonderful "papa knows best" function built into it, to keep you from installing something potentially hazardous. Unfortunately, MS went about 3 steps too far with it.

Of the things stolen in my little break-in episode last fall, I'm now pretty sure that my good old Windows 7 laptop is what I miss the most.
Actually I wouldn't mind going back to windows 3.o!

Last reply.

After a wonderful tech support session with Shaun of RT Systems Tech Support we determined that it is a major Windows PROBLEM!!!!!!

Right now when I plug ANY radio programming cable in none work because Windows 10 is putting them in Other Devices so even when you get the driver installed Windows 10 does not assign it a com port there in the Other Devices section. The cable needs to be in a different section..
The driver is being installed, There is just no com port being assigned to the cable.
Thank you to everyone helping and I'll get back when it is fixed.

Ermin
Old 05-20-2017, 9:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Try this link (from FTDI)

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM21226_Setup.zip

Mike