FreeScan vs ProScan

Status
Not open for further replies.

rufust

Just recieved my shiny new BCD996P2 and had my first what have I gotten myself into moment.I am a raw novice and programing is going to take a little study.What is the best software for this scanner and a Newbie Operator ?
Thanks in advance

troymail

Silent Key
FreeScan being "free" seems like a good place to start before handing over your dollars... You can always hand over your money tomorrow....

I use FreeScan to program an old 396T and other radios for other folks... never really had any problems with the software itself - more, it's just limitations of this old(er) radio (12 years old now?).

From reading the threads, one thing to consider (as I understand it) is that FreeScan doesn't handle or known anything about DMR should you have or plan to get that upgrade. But again - that doesn't mean you should want to run out and spend more of your money unless/until you decide that's really what you want to do.

Regardless of which software you opt to go with (you will want one or another), I strongly recommend taking the time to learn about manually programming the radio for a variety of reasons....

NYRHKY94

In addition to the good advice from troymail above, Proscan offers a FREE fully functional 30-day trial of their software. Given what Proscan has to offer (best all-in-one programming/remote control software on the market IMO), there is absolutely no downside to giving it a test run. You can also use the web import feature to program your scanner automatically using your Radio Reference ID & Password as well. Good luck!

Last edited:

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I give Proscan two thumbs up. I use it to remotely control 4 Uniden radios on the same computer without a hiccup. Web server remote management feature certainly is nice too. As the user above me mentioned, download the free trial & see if it is right for you

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
<snip>
Regardless of which software you opt to go with (you will want one or another), I strongly recommend taking the time to learn about manually programming the radio for a variety of reasons....

To get you started, see this article from our wiki (links are blue)...

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Read the stuff in the Nuts and Bolts section first; then go down to the bottom to get the Easier to Read manuals. I'd download it (free). or order a printed copy from Scanner Master.

Mike

troymail

Silent Key
just remember free is not always better.

Just depends on what you need it to do... I've tried sme of the "paid" software and continue to succesfully use the manufacturer supplied software without any major impacts. In the case of the "older" radios that have recently been given new life and don't provide software, in general they are just going to be a bit more difficult to program (you get what you pay for).

Having said that - I'm sure a piece of software that you pay for should be better ... the question is - just it justify the cost. Ultimately, it's an individual decision...

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Just depends on what you need it to do... I've tried sme of the "paid" software and continue to succesfully use the manufacturer supplied software without any major impacts. In the case of the "older" radios that have recently been given new life and don't provide software, in general they are just going to be a bit more difficult to program (you get what you pay for).

Having said that - I'm sure a piece of software that you pay for should be better ... the question is - just it justify the cost. Ultimately, it's an individual decision...
FreeSCAN works well in most cases. However, if you add the DMR upgrade at some point, you will need to use ProScan or ARC-XT. FreeSCAN was not updated for DMR, and if you try to "read" a DMR system into it from the scanner, you'll get an unusable mess. Because of this, I am using ProScan, which covers a larger number of scanners, including some older units in my collection.

rufust

Thanks for the info.Lots of study and playing ahead.I was of the opinion of It's just #'s how hard can it be.Not hard just way different.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
ProScan has a 30-day free trial. I would recommend trying it.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
While FreeScan is fine for programming. If you really want full features, control and functionality go with ProScan. There is no comparison.

mule1075

Feed Provider
This:

http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/360219-no-trunking-receive.html#post2831253

is why I said (always say) this:

100% agree on learning to program by hand.It might be a pain in the butt but well worth the effort.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.