Probe Software for Optoscan 456

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
anyone still use this software? I would like to buy it for use with Optoscan 456 (full version) but the $59.99 is a little high for 10 year old software that runs in DOS. just want a few opinions before I buy it.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
scancapecod said:
Outstanding software and highly recommended for conventional scanning with your setup. There is no better. Don't let the fact that it runs in DOS fool you.

OK...I may go ahead and get it. are you running it under WinXP or another OS? thanks.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I'm guessing you've been to http://www.datafileinc.com and read about the software. Also, if you're planning on running this in Windows XP or 2000 Pro you will quite likely need a program called Direct I/O for direct access to the serial port; otherwise performance may be degradated or it might not work at all. The best bet is to run it from DOS, or to boot a Windows 95 or 98 machine to the DOS prompt and do it that way. I have nothing but good things to say about this software, both from a searching and scanning point.

Best of luck.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
scancapecod said:
I'm guessing you've been to http://www.datafileinc.com and read about the software. Also, if you're planning on running this in Windows XP or 2000 Pro you will quite likely need a program called Direct I/O for direct access to the serial port; otherwise performance may be degradated or it might not work at all. The best bet is to run it from DOS, or to boot a Windows 95 or 98 machine to the DOS prompt and do it that way. I have nothing but good things to say about this software, both from a searching and scanning point.

Best of luck.

thanks for the info. I think for the cost (considering DOS based and being old as dirt) compared to the cost of Butel software, he either needs to drop the price (so you can get Direst I/O) or redo it to work with news OS's. I have an older PC and will install Windows 98SE on it.

Last edited:

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
edweirdFL said:
I'm using Scanstar's software with my 2 OS535's, and it supports the OS456 as well as other radios. It costs more, but development is ongoing and it's made for Windows.

http://www.scanstar.com

I thought about it and I'm not going to buy it. it will cost me about $100 for 10 year old software. that's like buying a full version of Win 3.11 for $300. screw that. I have an old PC and am installing Win98SE. I a really old version of the ScanStar that I will use. it will do what I need it to. I emailed the guy for Probe and ask if I would be able to download it after I bought it. his answer was "it ships priority mail" it's as if he has a few thousand copies on CD and is expecting to hit it big without any more work or support for it. it may be good, but if it's that good work on it and make it better and work with Windows 2000 and beyond.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Mike,

Your choice, but there is no better software for the OS456, hands down, and that includes Scan*Star. Why do you need to spend $100 when Probe is on sale for $59.95? If you're planning on using it with a Windows 98 box you don't need Direct I/O, only Win2k and XP require it.

I know Probe's creator personally and will vouch for him being a top notch individual. I've met him and had lunch with him on a few occasions, as my sister-in-law literally lives right around the corner from him. He and I have discussed porting Probe to Windows and he is not going to do it.

I hope some other Probe users will chime in and offer their thoughts as well. With respect to Scan*Star, Probe beats it by a mile where the OS boards are concerned, both in speed and ease of operation. I continue to use it and love it.

morfis

mike_s104 said:
anyone still use this software? I would like to buy it for use with Optoscan 456 (full version) but the $59.99 is a little high for 10 year old software that runs in DOS. just want a few opinions before I buy it.

Yes, it's THE best software for scanning and searching using the Optoscan boards.
The price reflects the quality.

If you want similar features but insist on using windows then check out Spectrum Dominator (but I don't think you'll like the price tag on that either).

morfis

mike_s104 said:
I thought about it and I'm not going to buy it. it will cost me about $100 for 10 year old software. that's like buying a full version of Win 3.11 for $300. screw that. I have an old PC and am installing Win98SE. I a really old version of the ScanStar that I will use. it will do what I need it to. I emailed the guy for Probe and ask if I would be able to download it after I bought it. his answer was "it ships priority mail" it's as if he has a few thousand copies on CD and is expecting to hit it big without any more work or support for it. it may be good, but if it's that good work on it and make it better and work with Windows 2000 and beyond.

If your old Scanstar will "do what I need" then your Optoscan is almost wasted on you.

fineshot1

I must concur with scancapecod - for conventional scanning & searching its the best around. I have a RS Pro2042 with the Opto OS535 and run Probe version 7.0 and its great. The support from Perry Joseph has also been great. I use an old laptop and have dedicated it to this task. I just boot it into MS Dos 6.22 and start it off - that way it runs at high efficiency. I'd say go & get the latest version from Perry. You wont be sorry......

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
scancapecod said:
Mike,

Why do you need to spend $100 when Probe is on sale for $59.95? If you're planning on using it with a Windows 98 box you don't need Direct I/O, only Win2k and XP require it.

correct...I was doing to many other things when I was thinking about this.

clemfm

Excuse my necroposting, however Probe / Optoscan 456 users will be interested to learn that Probe works well in Raspbian Linux on a headless Raspberry Pi under DOSBox.

Probe is then accessed remotely via an X11 window forwarded through an SSH tunnel to my MacBook.

The audio from the scanner is streamed by the Raspberry Pi via ShoutCast and Darkice, however there is a delay of about 15 seconds due latency introduced as the stream is created etc and so the Probe screen leads the audio by this period.

This combination means that I can hear and control the scanner from anywhere. I also connect to the Pi via OpenVPN, over port 443 in case a given WiFi network blocks VPN ports.

I had an issue with the clock timer not being in sync with the RTC, running a TSR called Uptimer appears to address that issue.
Uptimer

The next project is to setup and use DSD to decode P25 digital traffic, extracted from my Realistic 2006 via a discriminator tap which is fed into the Raspberry Pi via a second USB audio card.

One little issue I have is that Signal always displays either nothing or -125dBm, any thoughts?

Last edited:

clemfm

Ref. my previous post, I can now also confirm that Probe works well with an ethernet Moxa NPort Express DE-211 RS-232 Device Server.

This effectively ethernet enables my Realistic Pro 2006 scanner. The advantage is that most serial serial servers are commercial grade devices designed for industrial applications, whist USB to RS232 bridges inherit all of the instability of USB.

The DE-211 is a 10 MbS only ethernet device, however I have observed no timing, or lag issues, with the serial server versus my previous USB to serial setup.

clemfm

Further to my previous posts, I can now confirm that Probe works well with a Moxa N5110 serial server. The N5110 has a 100mbs Ethernet connection, unlike the DE-211's 10mbs.

As per earlier posts, control is from a Raspberry Pi running Dosbox to an X11 client on my MacBook. Audio is streamed by Darkice/Icecast.

I am still working on adding DSD P25 decoding.

drdeputy

Premium Subscriber
I was a beta tester for Probe for quite a while years ago. I completely agree that it is the best out there as you say, for conventional scanning. It makes me want to get my older scanners out of mothballs and fire them up again. BTW, I hate trunking. :)

Forrest

Status
Not open for further replies.