RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Software > Scanner Programming Software

Scanner Programming Software This is the place to discuss third party scanner programming and control software.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TES
Don has never charged for newer versions of any of his offerings. Don't lose that key though!

When I upgrade all I do is download the newer version from StarrSoft.com and extract to the folder where the previous version is. The key takes care of itself.
Lo and behold, you're right, by Jove! Now, with the new LED color palettes, the program is everything I want it to be! Thanks, Don! You da MAN!

Suzie
Sponsored links
Old 04-07-2008, 10:28 PM

Thanks for adding this feature. I was just about to request it and found out you just added it. I just started using Win500 last week.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonS
If you're referring to a "palette" of colors that is in many other Windows apps, no, Win500 doesn't support that control. I thought about adding it a few months ago, but decided against it because the color you actually get will very likely be much different from what you actually select. This is because the real "steps" used in the scanner have far less resolution than what is used in that Windows Common Control.

... time passes ...

I just added it to version 1.45. The little colored rectangles to the right of each set of "spin controls" has been replaced by a button with a colored face. Clicking the button will bring up the "palette" control.

Yes, the LED colors are changed in Win500's display. However, the scanner's "steps" for actual colors are a bit more limited than Windows'. You may have to increase a particular R/G/B value by several steps before you'll see anything change. This behavior is most notable in the "Blue" settings.
Old 04-08-2008, 5:11 PM

Default Win500 Remote Monitoring Client

How many Clients can listen to 1 feed?

cgw58
Old 04-08-2008, 5:14 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgw58
How many Clients can listen to 1 feed?
If the client is connecting directly to the Win500 server, then just one client.

However, there's an app on my web site that will do some forwarding/mapping to effectively let you have unlimited clients.
Old 04-09-2008, 5:08 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Don,

I have a question / suggestion.

In Win500, if you select for it to record the audio, it creates many separate audio files. This makes sense if it were one audio file per TGID. However, it appears that it is creating multiple audio files for a specific TGID. I do _not_ have it selected to limit the size length of the recording.

I'm just wondering what process you hvae to determine when traffic on a particular TGID is recorded to an existing file and when it is to be recorded to a separate audio file.

I should say that I'm specifically monitoring the Ohio MARCS motorola system and I am monitoring multiple sites. I'm not sure if it's separating TGID traffic into separate audio files based upon the site it is coming from, or the VC it was heard on or what.

When I had a BCD996, I used ID Tracker II. This program would group all audio for a particular TGID into a single file. I really loved that since I could go to one single file and step through it to find what I need.

I see absolutely no benefit to having separate audio files for traffic on the same TGID - Maybe you can enlighten me on what the purpose of this is.

My suggestion would be to make it so that all audio for a particular TGID on a particular system be put into the same audio file, regardless of what site or VC that traffic is heard on. Otherwise, people will manage to accumulate potentially hundreds or even thousandsd of audio files instead of many less larger ones.

Your opinion?

Also - I believe in the past I saw references to the fact that that with I-Calls the PSRs display the opposide radio ID of what one would expect.. or something of that sort. Something GRE does different than the Unidens as far as displaying I-Call RIDs. Does this cause a problem from the standpoint of Win500 identifying the transmission and putting it into an appropriate audio file?

Mike

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Sponsored links
Old 04-10-2008, 9:07 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Hi Don:

FYI - Sent you a PM about the app on your web site that you referred to in the previous post. Thanks very much.
Old 04-10-2008, 1:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRHKY94
FYI - Sent you a PM about the app on your web site that you referred to in the previous post. Thanks very much.
I'll take the liberty of quoting the relevant part of your PM here, for the benefit of other users:
Quote:
I'd like to enable some additional Win500 client connections for some scanner friends to listen to my PSR-600. I downloaded the TCPMUX program from your site and looked at the sample config file but it looks greek to me at this point.

If you don't mind, can you provide me with 1 example of how to configure an additional client connevction to Win500 using the TCPMUX executable?
The sample 'config' file included in TCPMUX.ZIP is already set up to allow multiple clients to monitor your scanner. They would run the Remote Client app and connect to your IP address, specifying the port (26755) in the config file.

It's the last line in the file that allows this:
# allow all clients, no pass data, 5 minute timeout, single
# connection only
Y, 0.0.0.0, 0.0.0.0, N, 300, N
That last line, however, terminates remote connections after 5 minutes (the 300 in the 5th field) and doesn't allow remote clients to control your scanner (the 'N' in the 4th field prevents TCPMux from passing data from the "client" to the "server").

The previous entry, which is "commented-out":
# allow all clients, pass data, no timeout, single connection
# only
#Y, 0.0.0.0, 0.0.0.0, Y, 0, N
does not have the timeout (it's zero instead of 300), and will allow clients to control your scanner (the 'Y' instead of the 'N').

If you've changed the "Port" setting on Win500's Monitor/Control tab, you'll need to adjust the config file's "Server port" setting to match.
Old 04-10-2008, 3:02 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Hi Don:

Thanks for the public reply to my PM, that's much appreciated I'm sure. Sorry for being dense about the configuration piece, but I still can't get it to work. Let me provide an example of what I'm doing and maybe you can offer where I'm missing the boat here. It will probably help others as well ;-)

1) I double-clicked on the TCMUP.exe & saw a brief command window flash on the screen. I'm assuming that started the application.

2) I opened up the TCMUP config file and put my WAN IP address under the first line, instead of localhost. See below.

# Server name/IP to connect to

NOTE: I did not change anything else in the config file. Assuming I didn't have to, but maybe that's where I'm going wrong?

3) I start up my Win500 server on my home PC using port 8086. The server is enabled & controllable.

4) I start up a Win500 client and put the WAN IP adress from #2 above in the server address and I put 26755 in for the server port. It won't connect.
Old 04-10-2008, 3:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Thanks for the public reply to my PM, that's much appreciated I'm sure. Sorry for being dense about the configuration piece, but I still can't get it to work. Let me provide an example of what I'm doing and maybe you can offer where I'm missing the boat here. It will probably help others as well ;-)

1) I double-clicked on the TCMUP.exe & saw a brief command window flash on the screen. I'm assuming that started the application.
TCPMux.exe is a command-line app. If it only "flashed" briefly, and you don't still see a command-line-type window somewhere, it's not running. If you just double-clicked the EXE, you almost certainly didn't specify the (required) config file name on the command line!

I have a couple of shortcuts that I use to run the program. The shortcuts' "important" entries are set to:
Target: <path>\tcpmux.exe <config file name>
Start in: <path>

For example, with TCPMux.exe in "C:\program files\winxx" and using a config file named "TCPMuxConfig.txt":
Target: "C:\Program Files\WinXX\TCPMux.exe" TCPMuxConfig.txt
Start in: "C:\Program Files\WinXX"

Quote:
2) I opened up the TCMUP config file and put my WAN IP address under the first line, instead of localhost. See below.
The first line tells TCPMux how (where) to connect to the Win500 server. If TCPMux is running on the local machine, leave it set to "localhost" or "127.0.0.1". There is no setting, anywhere, in the config file where you specify the "WAN IP", since the server neither knows nor cares about it.

Quote:
# Server name/IP to connect to

NOTE: I did not change anything else in the config file. Assuming I didn't have to, but maybe that's where I'm going wrong?
As mentioned above, if the TCPMux program is running (as it likely should be) on the same PC as Win500, don't change the "Server name/IP to connect to" entry. Leave it at "localhost".

Quote:
3) I start up my Win500 server on my home PC using port 8086. The server is enabled & controllable.
No problem there.

Quote:
4) I start up a Win500 client and put the WAN IP adress from #2 above in the server address and I put 26755 in for the server port. It won't connect.
On what machine is TCPMux.exe running? The default settings in the config file are appropriate if TCPMux is running on the same machine as Win500.

It's possible to run TCPMux on a different machine/network than Win500, but I think we need to get you running in the "simple" configuration before attempting that.
Sponsored links
Old 04-10-2008, 4:25 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Hi Don:

Sorry to be a pain, but command line stuff is before my time. I gave it a try. I put the following line into a DOS command window:

"C:\Program Files\TCPMux\TCPMux.exe" TCPMuxConfig.txt

It returned the following:

TCPMux 1.0
Copyright <c> 2008 Don Starr
http://www.starrsoft.com

ESC to exit, S to show status

ERROR: unable to open configuration file TCPMuxConfig.txt
Old 04-10-2008, 4:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Hi Don:

Sorry to be a pain, but command line stuff is before my time. I gave it a try. I put the following line into a DOS command window:

"C:\Program Files\TCPMux\TCPMux.exe" TCPMuxConfig.txt

It returned the following:

TCPMux 1.0
Copyright <c> 2008 Don Starr
http://www.starrsoft.com

ESC to exit, S to show status

ERROR: unable to open configuration file TCPMuxConfig.txt
Start -> Run -> cmd.exe
cd <directory where you extracted TCPMUX.ZIP>
TCPMux <config file name>

In your post above, it looks like you didn't do the "cd <directory>" step. You entered the command from wherever the command prompt initially landed. While you did point to the TCPMux.exe program, you didn't include that path for the config file. It would be better if, as described above, you first did a "cd" to "C:\Program Files\TCPMux":
cd "c:\program files\tcpmux"
Old 04-10-2008, 4:50 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Thanks Don. That was the missing piece. The TCPMux program is now up & running in the command window. The Win500 server now says that client 127.0.0.1 is connected.

When I try to connect with a Win500 client using the 26755 port or 8086 port, the Win500 server won't allow the connection. In the lower right hand window of Win500 server, it says "connection overflow".

Any tips on why the client won't connect?

P.S. Appreciate your patience with a non-programmer type.....
Old 04-10-2008, 5:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Thanks Don. That was the missing piece. The TCPMux program is now up & running in the command window. The Win500 server now says that client 127.0.0.1 is connected.
OK. That sounds like TCPMux connected to Win500 (you should see a message like "server socket created to localhost:8086" in TCPMux).

Quote:
When I try to connect with a Win500 client using the 26755 port or 8086 port, the Win500 server won't allow the connection. In the lower right hand window of Win500 server, it says "connection overflow"
Any tips on why the client won't connect?
That sounds like the client program is trying to connect directly to Win500 (which only allows one connection - the one that's already in use by TCPMux), instead of TCPMux.

TCPMux's config file's third entry specifies the port on which TCPMux accepts connections from clients. It defaults to 26755 (unless you changed the config file). A Win500 remote client must connect to that port - not the port entered in Win500's Monitor/Control tab.

If you use the default settings everywhere, and TCPMux is running on the same machine as Win500:
1. Win500 server running on port 8086
2. TCPMux connecting to "localhost", with the config file's "Server port" item set to 8086
3. TCPMux "Listening port" (third item in config file) set to 26755
4. Win500 Remote Client app pointing to IP address of machine where TCPMux is running (localhost if same machine), port 26755

If the client app tries to connect to 8086, it's trying to talk directly to Win500. That won't work, since Win500 only allows one connection. TCPMux is using that connection. The client app must connect to TCPMux, on the "Listening port" specified in TCPMux's config file.
Old 04-10-2008, 7:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Don,

When I'm in the All Objects tab and want to reorder the objects so they are grouped by scan list from top to bottom, I can move conventional frequencies about by cutting and pasting. When I try to do the same with TSYS or TGRP the TSYS and the TGRP's become disassociated. The TRGP objects then read "NO TSYS" on the left of the Obj Info column. Then when I go back to the TSYS and look at the list of TGRP objects below it they have disappeared. I then have to copy the "NO TSYS" talkgroups from the all objects tab and paste them into the appropriate TSYS object TGRP list.

Now when I go back to the all objects tab, the list shows up but at the bottom as they have been assigned the highest numbers for objects. I've found the only way to move the talkgroups around in order is to highlight them all and use CTRL with the arrows. This is a pain as it takes quite a bit of time to move an object or group of objects into the order I want them in. Of course, once I get the TGRP's to associate properly with their TSYS, and get them in order, I reassign the object numbers and everything is fine.

What is the problem with cutting and pasting trunked objects, either TSYS or TGRP, and pasting them in another portion of the all objects list? Moving them around and avoiding problems is quite cumbersome.
Old 04-10-2008, 7:59 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Don:

THANK YOU! It's working now. Your last set of directions made it very clear what needed to be done. I have multiple clients connected as I wrtite this. I truly appreciate the help today and also the great little TCMPux program.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:56 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsmokey
Don,

When I'm in the All Objects tab and want to reorder the objects so they are grouped by scan list from top to bottom, I can move conventional frequencies about by cutting and pasting. When I try to do the same with TSYS or TGRP the TSYS and the TGRP's become disassociated.
Right click on the scanlist column header and select "sort by column - ascending."

That should do what you want.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:50 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Win500 Server Expected CPU Consumption?

Hi Don:

Not sure if this has been asked elsewhere in this thread (I did a quick search), but I would be interested in what the expected CPU consumption is for running Win500 server on a PC?

With one standard client connection to Win500 server (port 8086), the sound & data streaming is decent. When I have TCMPux up & running, I did notice a big drop in sound quality & data streaming with each additional client connection.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:11 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Not sure if this has been asked elsewhere in this thread (I did a quick search), but I would be interested in what the expected CPU consumption is for running Win500 server on a PC?

With one standard client connection to Win500 server (port 8086), the sound & data streaming is decent. When I have TCMPux up & running, I did notice a big drop in sound quality & data streaming with each additional client connection.
It depends on the PC, of course. On my primary machine, the Win500 server takes 0% (minimized) or 8% (restored) of the CPU, according to task manager (the difference is in the repainting of the window). On that same machine, TCPMux, with 2 client connections, is showing 0%. This is on a new-ish Intel Core2 (X6800) at 3GHz.

Running two instances of the client on my old Pentium 4 (2.4 GHz) laptop, each client takes 7-9% of the CPU. They're connected to the TCPMux on the primary machine over a 54Mbps "WiFi" link.

If adding more clients causes any dropouts or hiccups in audio and/or LCD updates, you might want to use the client's "buffering" option over at the top right of the client window. It defaults to "none". You may want to try 2 seconds, or so.

Last edited by DonS; 04-11-2008 at 12:14 PM..
Old 04-11-2008, 2:15 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Don:

Thanks as always for the prompt response & detailed information. Based on the benchmarks you provided, the PC I have Win500 running on is the likely culprit. It's an older Pentium 3 Dell laptop with not alot of RAM. I'm sure if I switch Win500 over to one of my other beefier PC's, I'll see a big difference. I'll do that this weekend.

Appreciate it & great job on Win500 and the nice little freebie too (TCPMux) :-)
Old 04-22-2008, 1:30 PM

Default Remote Client

Hi Don,

How do i setup the favorites to work in remote client?
Closed Thread