RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Software > Scanner Programming Software

Scanner Programming Software This is the place to discuss third party scanner programming and control software.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 8:47 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks for your reply. I have paid for the full program so I will look through the help tab of it.

Thanks for your time!!
Sponsored links
Old 02-02-2013, 4:19 PM

Default Basic Help

I have downloaded the Demo version and I am able to control the scanner. I have not been able to download the scanner frequency load. I do get the systems list. How would I access the frequencies within the individual systems? I would appreciate some basic "getting started" help. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2013, 8:45 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatcomm View Post
I have downloaded the Demo version and I am able to control the scanner. I have not been able to download the scanner frequency load. I do get the systems list. How would I access the frequencies within the individual systems? I would appreciate some basic "getting started" help. Thanks!

I take it, you have a database opened because you can start the download process and see the systems.

To see the frequencies, click "+" on the right side of the system to expand the system node. Next find a node with the type"FRQ" and click on the "+" to expand it. Now you should be able to see the frequencies.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:42 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default CC Data Ouput is disable with each start of ProScan

Hi Bob,

Something I don't recall having an issue with but perhaps I never noticed it.

First, when I download the entire scanner (channels and settings) from my 996XT, some of the general settings fields do not populate correctly with what is in the scanner. I do a second download of Settings only and then all the fields under the General tab populate with what is in the scanner.'
I noticed this with the Control Channel data output box as that is my main problem. I like to leave the control channel data output in extended mode on the rear port.

However, almost (note I said almost) every time I start Proscan, I see the display flash on my 996XT and then PrScan starts and seems to run fine.
However, if I go into the menu for settings and check the Control Channel output setting, I see it has been set to Off or Disabled.
I've confirmed this change occurs when ProScan starts and that is what is going on when I see the screen flash.
The odd thing is that this does not always occur. If I open ProScan and change the setting in the Control Channel data output box in ProScan and then set it back to Extended and the close and re-open ProScan, the 996XT screen does not flash and when I look in the menu for settings, my Extended Control Channel ouptut setting is still enabled.
However, the next time I close and re-open ProScan, it will again cause the 996XT screen to flash quickly as it is writing some unknown changes to the settings of the 996XT. I have no idea what ProScan all changes in the 996XT settings at that time as the screen flashes way faster than I can read it but the setting for Control Channel Ouput is one of the settings that gets changed each time ProScan starts.

How can I stop ProScan from writing ANY settings to the 996XT each time it starts? It is more an annoyance than anything as I do use P25 control channel logging software pretty often and now I find that my 996XT's data ouptut has been disable when I start my CC logging applications and I must go into the menu (on the radio) each time and re-enable that feature after I have been using ProScan.

I've played around with the settings in the config file for ProScan but can't really see anything related.

One other note, when I use ProScan to write the settings back into my 996XT, it does reenable the Extended Control Channel output as that is how it is stored in ProScan under the General tab. But, the next time I start ProScan, the same thing happens and ProScan writes some stuff to the 996XT settings at ProScan startup and one of those things it is writing is the command to turn Off or Disable Control Channel output logging.

Thanks!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I am running version 6.2 of ProScan and my 996XT is using the newest 1.07.03 firmware. I don't think it is a firmware issue though as I think I recall ProScan starting the above odd behavior before the FW was released for the 996XT.

Last edited by kruser; 02-05-2013 at 12:45 AM..
Old 02-08-2013, 10:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Further info from my previous post. The 396XT and 15X do the same thing as the 996XT and I assume the T models also but I've not tried them.

But... they only do it if they are receiving or are being held on a TRUNKED system talkgroup or Control Channel when I start ProScan.

So, start ProScan with any of the above models receiving an active talkgroup or being held on an active or inactive talkgroup or held on a trunked systems control channel, ProScan writes some things to the scanners above. For sure it changes the C-CH Output to OFF and it sends a RESUME command to the scanner.

If they are just searching or scanning but no signal being received OR they are receiving or held on an analog conventional channel, then nothing is written to the scanners when ProScan starts.

It only happens when ProScan is started and any of the scanners above happen to be receiving a talkgroup from any type of Trunked system, analog or digital, at the moment ProScan is started OR if the scanners are in Hold mode and being held on a Talkgroup or trunked systems control channel when ProScan starts.

I don't know if what is being displayed on the scanners screen triggers the writes from ProScan or if something other is read from the scanners when ProScan starts that triggers the writes.

So if say I'm holding on a talkgroup and decide I want to use ProScan to log that talkgroups activity, I start ProScan and it first sets the C-CH Output to OFF and then it sends a RESUME command to the scanner which puts the scanner back into Search or Scan mode. Then I must hit Hold and step through all the talkgroups manually until I get back to the one I was holding on so I can monitor its activity like I intended.

It also does not matter if the talkgroup is active or not, it just needs to be being displayed on the scanners display when you start ProScan.

I'd much rather ProScan start and not change anything. Anotherwords, if my scanner is held on a talkgroup, it should remain held on that talkgroup when ProScan starts. And it should not turn Off the C-CH Output!

If the scanner is being Held on an analog conventional channel or any frequency that is part of a trunked system OTHER than the Control Channel, it does not do the odd settings write. It remains held where it was when ProScan was started.

From the quick screen flash you see when it does this, it does appear several settings may be being written but it happens so fast that you can't really tell what all is being written to the scanners when this happens.
I don't think it is writing all settings as that takes much longer.

It also is not writing the settings from ProScans current database as my CC Output is always set to either Normal or Extended and ProScan sets it to Off when the above conditions are met and I start ProScan.
I don't think the last open database has even had time to load into ProScan yet when these odd writes take place.

So, I have no idea where ProScan is pulling the settings from when it does this but it gets them from somewhere or is sending some command that tells the scanner to reset some basic settings.
Or maybe when ProScan starts and the scanner is in one of the conditions above, the polling done by ProScan at startup is not understood by the scanner and it causes it to reset some basic settings and ProScan is not sending any commands other than whatever it does when it polls the port at startup.

Why it only does this when on trunked systems only is also a mystery. I assume ProScan polls the serial port when it opens as it displays what the scanner is displaying shortly after but something sure throws it off if the scanner is displaying any of the examples above.

I'm stumped and figure it is a bug. I've tried turning off all the settings for each of the scanner models above such as opening the database when started or opening the last active log but none make a difference, the scanners are still being written too when ProScan starts as long as they are in one of the conditions listed above when it starts.
I've not tried sniffing the com port comms when ProScan starts but therein probably lies the clue as to what is taking place.

Or maybe the scanners are sending some odd info that ProScan does not understand when it starts with them in one of the modes above and that odd info triggers ProScan into writing some settings to the scanners?
I don't know but I wish it behaved like it does when you start it with the scanner scanning/searching with no active signal or held on an analog channel!

Any ideas Bob?
Sponsored links
Old 02-09-2013, 7:05 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

It's a lot of info. I'll try to address the key points and keep it simple.

Quote:
Further info from my previous post. The 396XT and 15X do the same thing as the 996XT and I assume the T models also but I've not tried them.
The T models don't have a C-CH Output function so I would think it wouldn't do this.

Quote:
Something I don't recall having an issue with but perhaps I never noticed it.
Could it be that you always had C-CH ouput turned off before?

Quote:
First, when I download the entire scanner (channels and settings) from my 996XT, some of the general settings fields do not populate correctly with what is in the scanner. I do a second download of Settings only and then all the fields under the General tab populate with what is in the scanner.'
I noticed this with the Control Channel data output box as that is my main problem. I like to leave the control channel data output in extended mode on the rear port.
C-CH Output send tremendous amounts of data thru the comm. port and shouldn't be used when using other functions such as downloading/uploading.

Quote:
So, start ProScan with any of the above models receiving an active talkgroup or being held on an active or inactive talkgroup or held on a trunked systems control channel, ProScan writes some things to the scanners above. For sure it changes the C-CH Output to OFF and it sends a RESUME command to the scanner.
When ProScan starts, C-CH Output will turn off if it is on. This was requested several years ago and since it was implemented, then number of complaints regarding communications errors went down to 0.

To turn of the C-CH Output via the protocol, the SCN command is sent to the scanner. No other commands or writes sent to the scanner. Before the SCN command is sent, the PRG command is sent to put the scanner in program mode and after the SCN, the EPG command is sent to take the scanner out of program mode. Sending PRG and EPG with put the scanner in HOLD, I can't change that.

Quote:
I'd much rather ProScan start and not change anything. Anotherwords, if my scanner is held on a talkgroup, it should remain held on that talkgroup when ProScan starts. And it should not turn Off the C-CH Output!
I think if you know how the protocol performs, your thoughts may be different.

Quote:
From the quick screen flash you see when it does this, it does appear several settings may be being written but it happens so fast that you can't really tell what all is being written to the scanners when this happens.
Only the C-Ch output is turned off, nothing else.

Quote:
I don't think the last open database has even had time to load into ProScan yet when these odd writes take place.
Database loading into ProScan is independent of the C-CH Output turning off. The database is not sent to the scanner unless you tell ProScan to upload.

I don't now if there is a bug or a request at this time but C-CH Output data can cause problems.

Last edited by ProScan; 02-09-2013 at 7:40 AM..
Old 02-10-2013, 3:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Mr Proscan,

Before I officially email and ask.

Would a secondary input option be something you could make. Using a 2nd sound card say hooked to a pager or weather radio the streaming audio feeds would switch to that 2nd input when there is audio and then switch back to normal scanner after the audio is done.
Old 02-10-2013, 7:32 PM
DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Default Re: Official ProScan Software Thread

when performing a SORT alphabetically of system names, does it have to sort talkgroups alpha tags as well?

i like to keep my talkgroups in order "dispatch" then "channel 2" for example for easy locating. but "c" is before "d" alphabetically so channel 2 always shows up first. its a slight pain

would like the CC data on all the time too because I use it with decoding a 9600baud system and using it remotely always shuts it off.

other than that its an awesome program. run it on my remote and works great! I'm a convert from free scan.
Old 02-11-2013, 3:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

How long does it take to get my user name activated for the forums? It's been almost a week now and still cant log in until im activated.
Sponsored links
Old 02-11-2013, 3:10 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayslookin View Post
How long does it take to get my user name activated for the forums? It's been almost a week now and still cant log in until im activated.
Send me an email.
Old 02-11-2013, 3:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Email sent. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2013, 3:13 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kma371 View Post
when performing a SORT alphabetically of system names, does it have to sort talkgroups alpha tags as well?

i like to keep my talkgroups in order "dispatch" then "channel 2" for example for easy locating. but "c" is before "d" alphabetically so channel 2 always shows up first. its a slight pain

would like the CC data on all the time too because I use it with decoding a 9600baud system and using it remotely always shuts it off.

other than that its an awesome program. run it on my remote and works great! I'm a convert from free scan.
The next version will make the C-CH Output turn off at start-up an option and the sorting with more options such as not to sort the groups.
Old 02-11-2013, 4:06 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by webstar22 View Post
Mr Proscan,

Would a secondary input option be something you could make. Using a 2nd sound card say hooked to a pager or weather radio the streaming audio feeds would switch to that 2nd input when there is audio and then switch back to normal scanner after the audio is done.
I don't think I will do this one. I gave this careful consideration using a weighted scoring model with many factors.
Old 02-11-2013, 4:22 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProScan View Post
The next version will make the C-CH Output turn off at start-up an option and the sorting with more options such as not to sort the groups.
That all sounds great!

Thanks Bob!
Old 02-12-2013, 1:14 AM
DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProScan View Post
thank you. any timeline on a new release/update?
Sponsored links
Old 02-16-2013, 8:40 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kma371 View Post
thank you. any timeline on a new release/update?
No ETA but those that email me bug reports or suggestions gets the latest file with the latest bug fixes and latest suggestions added.
Old 02-17-2013, 7:07 PM

Default Recording ability for Pro-197

Would it be possible to add support for the Radio Shack Pro-197 to ProScan, or add recording ability to RadioFeed (even if it's a pay version?)

I have ProScan set up for a Uniden scanner feed and it works pretty good, but the program doesn't support the Pro-197 scanner. I think you've said that adding (i.e. programming/control) support for the Pro-197 would be complicated, but all I'm after is the ability to record audio (on a by-call basis) and I see that RadioFeed does support getting data from the Pro-197.

It addition, I do use RadioFeed to broadcast the feed from the Pro-197 and I can't send metadata if I use another program to record since they can't share access to the scanner.

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2013, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webstar22 View Post
Mr Proscan,

One idea would be to do a stereo feed (or use a joiner that puts both feeds on the same, mono channel). The audio of the primary feed would still play while the secondary feed is going, but you might be able to adjust the volumes of each so that the secondary feed can be clearly heard.
Old 03-03-2013, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitytransit View Post
Would it be possible to add support for the Radio Shack Pro-197 to ProScan, or add recording ability to RadioFeed (even if it's a pay version?)

I have ProScan set up for a Uniden scanner feed and it works pretty good, but the program doesn't support the Pro-197 scanner. I think you've said that adding (i.e. programming/control) support for the Pro-197 would be complicated, but all I'm after is the ability to record audio (on a by-call basis) and I see that RadioFeed does support getting data from the Pro-197.

It addition, I do use RadioFeed to broadcast the feed from the Pro-197 and I can't send metadata if I use another program to record since they can't share access to the scanner.

Thanks.
You could use ProScan in VOX mode to record and stream. I used to use it with a PRO-2006 for a few years until I bought a used 780xlt.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:34 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

HI all,
Having a little bit of a hard time here. I am trying to record audio by frequency/talkgroup (%FT) so that it records as one continuous file. As it is now, it records seemingly random segments and starts a new file. Seems like if there is a prolonged break in activity, it will start a new file.
Under options --> Recording --> Custom recording folders, I have %D/%FT
Under options --> Recording --> Custom filename format, I have %FT - %C
Max recording time = none
edit: I should probably clarify that I am trying to create a single audio file by freq and date.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks!
Mark

Last edited by Markb; 03-25-2013 at 1:55 PM..

Tags
bc785d with proscan 6.6