RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Scanner Programming Software

Scanner Programming Software - This is the place to discuss third party scanner programming and control software.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2018, 8:06 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

They aren't talking much right now. I put this feed on for a few friends and they haven't said their was no audio.
This is my third feed, the other two feeds, I use Meta Data using Radio Feed.

BCD996P2,BCD996T,BCT15
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2018, 8:11 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Its recording so I don't know.
Attached Images

BCD996P2,BCD996T,BCT15
Old 01-10-2018, 8:15 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hundeesport412 View Post
Its recording so I don't know.
I see the site and channel text tags metadata using WinAmp.
Old 01-10-2018, 8:18 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I am playing back audio now. Recordings before hooking up feed are ok but after feed launch, you are correct it seems like my recordings are going thru process but no audio.

BCD996P2,BCD996T,BCT15
Old 01-10-2018, 8:25 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
I am playing back audio now. Recordings before hooking up feed are ok but after feed launch, you are correct it seems like my recordings are going thru process but no audio.
I heard audio 3 times during the last 30 minutes.
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2018, 8:29 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

ok , Thank You!!!

BCD996P2,BCD996T,BCT15
Old 01-10-2018, 8:40 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Bob,
It seems that I have to turn off the recorder in Pro Scan. If I let the recorder it cuts the audio off to the feed.
Does that sound right?

BCD996P2,BCD996T,BCT15
Old 01-10-2018, 9:01 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Bob,
It seems that I have to turn off the recorder in Pro Scan. If I let the recorder it cuts the audio off to the feed.
Does that sound right?
Negative. Separate processes.
Old 01-11-2018, 7:28 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Just got a 536HP and love ProScan! I've already got NginX in front of it doing SSL termination.

Question - any way to customize the web page it serves up?

Looks like the HTML is doing a bunch of AJAX calls... would love if that were websockets instead... I've already written my own little 'remote scanner display' with nodejs/express/socket.io that connects to the 536HP over wifi .
Old 01-12-2018, 3:32 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
Just got a 536HP and love ProScan! I've already got NginX in front of it doing SSL termination.

Question - any way to customize the web page it serves up? .
Yes, Edit the style1.css file located in the ProScan folder. You will have to match the elements in this file with the HTML source.

Quote:
Looks like the HTML is doing a bunch of AJAX calls... would love if that were websockets instead... I've already written my own little 'remote scanner display' with nodejs/express/socket.io that connects to the 536HP over wifi .
I'm not familiar with websockets. Any advantage using websockets over jQuery $.get?
Old 01-12-2018, 3:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProScan View Post
Yes, Edit the style1.css file located in the ProScan folder. You will have to match the elements in this file with the HTML source.
Cool, should be easy enough

Quote:
I'm not familiar with websockets. Any advantage using websockets over jQuery $.get?
Basically, websockets is a persistent asynchronous connection, not unlike the UDP connection that I assume ProScan is making directly to the radio. Instead of the browser having to make an "expensive" HTTP REST every X seconds, the server pushes the data to the browser only as required. Best of all, it all happens over HTTP (websockets is a specification of HTTP 1.1) and is supported by all modern browsers. socket.io is a popular javascript framework that does all the heavy lifting (although it is made to be paired to a nodejs server running express/socket.io server).

In my ideal world, I could run ProScan on a raspberry pi instead of a Windows machine. The Pi could run the nodejs version of Proscan to record, serve up audio feeds, and be a server for the Windows ProScan client. Since I know ProScan works as "view only" client today, I was thinking of sniffing your APIs to see what I could come up with.

I wrote a little proof-of-concept nodejs server that pushes data to the browser over websockets that I'd be happy to share with you if you have a 536HP and any machine running nodejs in your arsenal .
Old 01-12-2018, 7:31 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Cool, should be easy enough

Basically, websockets is a persistent asynchronous connection, not unlike the UDP connection that I assume ProScan is making directly to the radio. Instead of the browser having to make an "expensive" HTTP REST every X seconds, the server pushes the data to the browser only as required. Best of all, it all happens over HTTP (websockets is a specification of HTTP 1.1) and is supported by all modern browsers. socket.io is a popular javascript framework that does all the heavy lifting (although it is made to be paired to a nodejs server running express/socket.io server).

In my ideal world, I could run ProScan on a raspberry pi instead of a Windows machine. The Pi could run the nodejs version of Proscan to record, serve up audio feeds, and be a server for the Windows ProScan client. Since I know ProScan works as "view only" client today, I was thinking of sniffing your APIs to see what I could come up with.

I wrote a little proof-of-concept nodejs server that pushes data to the browser over websockets that I'd be happy to share with you if you have a 536HP and any machine running nodejs in your arsenal .
Thanks, I looked into it. Basically websocket and jQuery $.get does the same thing. Communications using HTTP over TCP. I think using jQuery uses less overhead and less expensive calls plus users shouldn't have to deal with installing node.js.

I'm not sure what you mean by "view only". It has remote control capability. If you want to save time sniffing, just right click on the web page and click on view source. The full html and javascript text will show in your text editor.

Last edited by ProScan; 01-12-2018 at 7:37 PM..
Old 01-12-2018, 7:44 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Thanks, I looked into it. Basically websocket and jQuery $.get does the same thing. Communications using HTTP over TCP. I think using jQuery uses less overhead and less expensive calls plus users shouldn't have to deal with installing node.js.

I'm not sure what you mean by "view only". It has remote control capability. If you want to save time sniffing, just right click on the web page and click on view source. The full html and javascript text will show in your text editor.
websockets use *way* overhead than HTTP GET calls (I write web APIs for a living for Stringify, an IoT automation platform)... Mostly because it's all push - if the frequency on your scanner didn't change for the past hour, then there is near zero traffic (apart from an occasional keep-alive) between browser and server! This gets even more significant if you introduce SSL (I'm reverse proxying my ProScan instance over SSL to keep..well, anybody from seeing my traffic). Each HTTP GET requires SSL/TLS negotiation.

I understand it has remote capability. I was talking about sniffing traffic between the 'server' and the scanner itself -
the UDP traffic.

I'm suggesting that ProScan itself could be more lightweight and extensible if, for instance, the Windows app was speaking the same APIs as the Web app. Perhaps you already have most of this done via abstractions in your Windows app source.

I'm not necessarily suggesting that people install node, but it would be somewhat trivial to offer a Raspberry Pi "ProScan server in a box" image. Someone can buy a $50 pi kit, image the SD card with the ProScan image, and be up and running immediately. It could automatically search to see if you have a scanner plugged into its USB port *and* scan your local LAN for the 536HP on Wifi .

I know this isn't likely to happen, and I've already got more projects than I know what to do with, but just some thoughts/ideas.

I think the app is amazing, btw. I bought it before my scanner even arrived after seeing what it could do. I wish there was a Mac version.
Old 01-13-2018, 2:39 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
it would be somewhat trivial to offer a Raspberry Pi "ProScan server in a box" image. Someone can buy a $50 pi kit, image the SD card with the ProScan image, and be up and running immediately.
If it was trivial, that would be great. ProScan is a MS 2.0 Net Framework app so I would think the Raspberry Pi would need the MS 2.0 Net Framework installed.

Quote:
if the frequency on your scanner didn't change for the past hour, then there is near zero traffic (apart from an occasional keep-alive) between browser and server!
That's what we are doing. The display, keyboard, frequency, & text are not resent if no changes.

Quote:
This gets even more significant if you introduce SSL
Would my app really need SSL? No personal info is involved. So someone sniffs the data. All they could see is the Stream Description, Channel Text Tags. Nothing really secret.

Quote:
I'm suggesting that ProScan itself could be more lightweight and extensible if, for instance, the Windows app was speaking the same APIs as the Web app.
I disagree. Communications between two things requires the same protocol. No communications between API's needed.as that would make it more heavyweight and less extensible.

Quote:
I think the app is amazing, btw.
Much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by ProScan; 01-13-2018 at 3:04 AM..
Old 01-13-2018, 9:04 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
I was talking about sniffing traffic between the 'server' and the scanner itself -
the UDP traffic.
Don't have to sniff. Go to the Test & Extras tab. You'll see the data coming from the scanner. The first three letters in upper case are the protocol commands. It's not my API, just scanner protocol commands.
Old 01-13-2018, 9:54 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
That's what we are doing. The display, keyboard, frequency, & text are not resent if no changes.
I understand they aren't resent, but the browser is still polling for changes. Since the scanner screen is so little data, the screen data is a fraction of the size of the entire request. Websockets wouldn't poll for changes.

Quote:
Would my app really need SSL? No personal info is involved. So someone sniffs the data. All they could see is the Stream Description, Channel Text Tags. Nothing really secret.
In today's world I think everything needs to be SSL. If for no other reason, just simple privacy: I don't want my employer / ISP / government knowing that I am listening to a scanner. Even this RadioReference is SSL.

Quote:
I disagree. Communications between two things requires the same protocol. No communications between API's needed.as that would make it more heavyweight and less extensible.

Let me explain what brought me to the 536HP and ProScan. I bought a 436HP and a big antenna that I planned on putting on my house roof and running the cable into my office. That turned out to be more difficult than originally planned, so I bought a 536HP and put the antenna on the garage roof - put the 536HP in the garage. Now, I am able to listen to my scanner from inside the house... but I don't like that it still requires me to keep my old windows computer drawing ~50W on all the time when a pi is between 1-2W. I've already got a pi in the garage with a few RTLSDR dongles attached that are tracking planes via ADS-B at 1090mhz and tracking my power usage by listening to my smart meter beaconing consumption at 900mhz. It would be neat if the same pi could essentially serve up ProScan.

I may PM you my little proof of concept just for kicks. I didn't know you were showing the commands in the Test & Extras tab... I'll check it out, thank you!

Oh - and here's the URL to my ProScan instance, SSL . It's another raspberry pi running NginX that is doing the SSL termination - reverse proxying /scanner to port 5000 on my windows computer, and /scannerrecordings is actually a share on my Synology NAS.

https://geekflat.linquist.net/scanner

Last edited by klinquist; 01-13-2018 at 11:13 AM..
Old 01-14-2018, 9:12 AM

Default support uniden ubc3600xlt

Hello
Will there be support for uniden ubc3600xlt ??
Old 01-14-2018, 11:20 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by drako24 View Post
Hello
Will there be support for uniden ubc3600xlt ??
Probably not at least not at this time. Too many other ProScan things working on.
Old Yesterday, 9:34 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Too many other ProScan things working on.
Any chance one of those items would be an adjustable AGC for recording and remote listening?
Old Yesterday, 9:48 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
Any chance one of those items would be an adjustable AGC for recording and remote listening?
No, I'm not sure on the AGC how well that would work. Doing R&D on Web Server stuff for perhaps a later release.

{edit} Also been doing some database stuff.

Last edited by ProScan; Yesterday at 9:52 AM..

Tags
bc785d with proscan 6.6, logging, proscan, sleep, windows