RS 20-176 confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trigger

I've done some searching and now I'm more confused than ever. I'm getting back into scanning after several years and just picked up a RS 20-176 "Sputnik". I chose this one because I'm really limited on space and it's going into my attic. Here is where the confusion begins.... connectors.

The instructions state I need a PL-259 connector and I went to RS last night looking for them and the connectors say I need RG-58 coax. I can't find RG-58 anywhere local!!! There is plenty of RG-6 though (at home depot). After reading here, I see that the RG-6 is much preferred. So I'm going with that.

But trying to figure out what connector I need is causing me fits! Radio Shack doesn't sell a PL-259 connector for RG-6 cable as far as I can see. What should I use? What's the difference between a PL-259 and SO-239 jack?

Can someone tell me what I'm supposed to use?

epersson

Feed Provider
Probably can't give you all the answers but will do the best I can. SO is the female end (antenna) , pl is the male (cable). If you can't find a PL for RG-6 then they do make an F to PL adapter, then you don't have to modify the cable at all. There is also an F to BNC for the scanner end if needed.

hoser147

You don't want RG58 for scanning. The SO is usually a chassis type mount similar to whats on the antenna itself. The PL259 is what goes onto it. As epersson stated you should be able to adapt the fittings to work. RG 6 can be easily gotten at Wally world for a decent price. Why your local radio shack doesnt have a good selection of adapters is beyond me unless it is a independent store. Most in my area are company owned and have a decent selection, however there is one in the next town over that has a franchise store and they dont have much of nothing there, but they are the oldest store in the area........Hope this helps Hoser

N1BHH

Radio Shack must have all the RG58U and can't find anyone to hand it over to, so they say "use this stuff, it's the best." Get your hands on that RG6, it will work just fine. If it comes with F-connectors all you need is some adapters. If your radio utilizes a BNC connection for the antenna all you will need is this one: http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...NC+adapters&kw=bnc+adapters&parentPage=search
The chrome version is the same price, while the gold version assures longer lifespan and a better connection.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I use a couple 20-176's in my attic with RG-6. They work great, and RG-6 is much better for scanners than RG-58.

If your local stores don't have SO-239 to F and F to BNC adaptors do a Google search for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.