Help with securing mast into tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.

DewAddict

I am mounting a tripod on my roof which is no problem, but since I have never done this before I am not sure the procedure to hold the mast into place.

There is a collar at the top and bottom with 3 bolts through each. I realize these are tightened against the mast in an orderly fashion to hold it in place.

What I need help with is the nut placements on these bolts. I have 6 Concave square nuts and 6 regular hex nuts, so I assume one of each type is placed on each of the six bolts but I am not sure where to place them.

If I put the hex nuts outside the collar, then the bolts are not long enough to tighten against the mast. Should I place the hex nuts on the inside of the collar and tighten those against the concave nuts to hold the bolts in place?

My mast is 1.5" diameter antenna mast.

Thanks for the help.

DewAddict

Ummm...yeah...tried Google and since this is a forum for help and information I figure it would be best to post here to get opinions from folks who have actually done this rather than some Google search result.

But thanks for the obvious suggestions.

SCPD

QRT
I have a roof tripod with the mast same set up your trying to do. Its not rocket science, Screw the screws to the mast, I used a torpedo level to keep the mast level while locking down the main screws into place, you should have three on the top collar and 3 at the base. After you tighten the main screws down the inside nuts reverse back to the collar double locking the main screws for extra strength.

" If I put the hex nuts outside the collar, then the bolts are not long enough to tighten against the mast. Should I place the hex nuts on the inside of the collar and tighten those against the concave nuts to hold the bolts in place? " (Bingo dude! you answered your own question)

Status
Not open for further replies.