pmm3 and a cake pan

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevolene

I was fooling around listening to the scanner the other night on the patio with a pmm3 stuck on a cake pan sitting on top of the barbecue chimney, I happened to have my little 2 meter HT with me so I thought what the heck, so I hooked it up to the valor antenna, and wow!! I suddenly was hearing traffic on repeaters 100 miles away, then I transmitted with great results from a repeater 30 miles away, I had never been able to hit that with the ducky, so now my question is, does anyone have a link to a homemade quarter wave? seems thats what the the pmm3 glued to the cake pan was simulating, I bet one could build a simple 2 meter antenna dirt cheap

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
A "coaxial" antenna is a dipole and like a 1/4 wave GP it has no gain. In fact true gain (not the isotropic theoretical model) is measured against the dipole reference.

Now Steve, if you're really a ham you SHOULD know how to make a ground plane so why the question? Steveoline huh,? You've been listening to the illustrious Timtron too long to whom every liquid is olene and everything else is yellow. (;->)

k9rzz

I was fooling around listening to the scanner the other night on the patio with a pmm3 stuck on a cake pan sitting on top of the barbecue chimney, I happened to have my little 2 meter HT with me so I thought what the heck, so I hooked it up to the valor antenna, and wow!! I suddenly was hearing traffic on repeaters 100 miles away, then I transmitted with great results from a repeater 30 miles away, I had never been able to hit that with the ducky, so now my question is, does anyone have a link to a homemade quarter wave? seems thats what the the pmm3 glued to the cake pan was simulating, I bet one could build a simple 2 meter antenna dirt cheap

I bet one could !

I have no idea what a "pmm3" is, but it sounds like it's working for you. Why change?

KC0QNB

before you get too excited the 2m band has been "up" the past few days, I have been hearing one Kansas repeater while mobile, and PS stations from Colby KS 150-200 miles away, the true test is can you talk into the repeaters you are listening too on your cake pan antenna?, some are probably toned, do some research if you can ID the station. And set the tones accordingly. have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.