RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > Antennas and Associated Hardware > Scanner / Receiver Antennas

Scanner / Receiver Antennas For discussion of any type of receiving antenna used by a scanner or receiver base, mobile or handheld.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-01-2008, 3:11 PM
eahuntley's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NW Portland/Beaverton area
Posts: 83
Default Homebrew Scanner Antenna?

Anyone know of any good plans for a homebrew scanner base antenna? I'm mostly interested in 100-200mhz and 400-500mhz.

I don't have a whole lot of space, so the smaller the better.
__________________
KE7UAF Beaverton CERT

Radios:
FT-450AT, VX-2200(x2), FT-8500, FTM-350(x2) VX-414 VX7R; BCD396T, BC898T; GP-68(x2)

Last edited by eahuntley; 07-01-2008 at 11:51 PM..
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-01-2008, 6:02 PM
KC0QNB's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Gothenburg, NE
Posts: 793
Default

Build a jpole, trim it accordingly, look here. Jpoles work very well for what they are
__________________
Yaesu CPU2500R, 2x Bearcat III, old PRO-46, and a new PRO-136. DX-399
Grid Square DN90WW
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-01-2008, 6:16 PM
N1BHH's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Jackson Square, East Weymouth, MA.
Posts: 1,742
Default

I have built many different antennas for scanners. One that I built was made of twin lead for the Low and High Bands. It was simply a center fed dipole. It was mounted on a mahogany pole up a tall tree in the back yard. It worked wonders, and was fed by some CATV coax, buried in the ground. I lived in Rockland, MA. and could always hear Eastern Connecticut and a lot of New Hampshire and Maine on Low Band every day. On good days I could hear into New York and Pennsylvania, when everyone else couldn't hear the other end of the county.
__________________
Clyde, N1BHH, A Know Code Amateur Radio Operator, since 1970
WQLF416 = GMRS
Pro's 94, 106 x2, 164, 197 x2 , 2006, 2015, 2021, 2055
Yaesu FT-60R, 2900R, 8000R & 8800R, Motorola MTX9250, Icom IC-735
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-01-2008, 6:28 PM
mcscanner's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 280
Default

Couple of links
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index...ter_Fed_Dipole
http://www.harfordemcomm.org/files/twinlead.pdf

Off-center has good comments, on my list to build.

Twinlead is for 2m Hand held replacement of the rubber ducky. So easy to make it worth a try. For your frequency of interest it might be useful.

mike
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-01-2008, 7:34 PM
hoser147's Avatar
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Grand Lake St. Marys Ohio
Posts: 5,159
Default

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index...ch_and_Reviews
__________________
Good Scanning Hser
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?feedId=165
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-01-2008, 10:55 PM
eahuntley's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NW Portland/Beaverton area
Posts: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1BHH View Post
I have built many different antennas for scanners. One that I built was made of twin lead for the Low and High Bands. It was simply a center fed dipole. It was mounted on a mahogany pole up a tall tree in the back yard. It worked wonders, and was fed by some CATV coax, buried in the ground. I lived in Rockland, MA. and could always hear Eastern Connecticut and a lot of New Hampshire and Maine on Low Band every day. On good days I could hear into New York and Pennsylvania, when everyone else couldn't hear the other end of the county.
So, which bands did that work well on? Is that the same twinlead dipole arrangement that is linked in this thread?


Edit: Woops, nevermind. I guess that was a J-pole made of twinlead.
__________________
KE7UAF Beaverton CERT

Radios:
FT-450AT, VX-2200(x2), FT-8500, FTM-350(x2) VX-414 VX7R; BCD396T, BC898T; GP-68(x2)

Last edited by eahuntley; 07-01-2008 at 10:57 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-01-2008, 11:18 PM
blueangel-eric's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Emporia, KS
Posts: 761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eahuntley View Post
Anyone know of any good plans for a homebrew scanner base antenna? I'm mostly interested in 100-200mhz and 400-500mhz.

I don't have a whole lot of space, so I'd rather not go with anything like a dipole.
how could a dipole take up space? I have two in my bedroom in my apartment. one made of aluminum tubing and a similar one with copper tubing. and another that is a Off Fed Center Dipole that is aluminum tubing used for portable base station setups. All three are homemade. I mounted mine on poles attached to camera tripods and the like. works well. the tubing is 1/2 inch and broadbanded for scanning use.
Eric Burris

Last edited by blueangel-eric; 07-01-2008 at 11:21 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-01-2008, 11:20 PM
blueangel-eric's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Emporia, KS
Posts: 761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcscanner View Post
Couple of links
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index...ter_Fed_Dipole
http://www.harfordemcomm.org/files/twinlead.pdf

Off-center has good comments, on my list to build.

Twinlead is for 2m Hand held replacement of the rubber ducky. So easy to make it worth a try. For your frequency of interest it might be useful.

mike
i just threw away my twinlead jpole for 2 meters. it's just too narrowbanded for scanner use. the reception was lousy on the RR band when yet my dipoles work good for both and even UHF.

Eric Burris
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-01-2008, 11:51 PM
eahuntley's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NW Portland/Beaverton area
Posts: 83
Default

Sorry, when I wrote that for some reason I was thinking of the HF bands. Yes, a Dipole would be great for 2 meters and higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel-eric View Post
how could a dipole take up space? I have two in my bedroom in my apartment. one made of aluminum tubing and a similar one with copper tubing. and another that is a Off Fed Center Dipole that is aluminum tubing used for portable base station setups. All three are homemade. I mounted mine on poles attached to camera tripods and the like. works well. the tubing is 1/2 inch and broadbanded for scanning use.
Eric Burris
__________________
KE7UAF Beaverton CERT

Radios:
FT-450AT, VX-2200(x2), FT-8500, FTM-350(x2) VX-414 VX7R; BCD396T, BC898T; GP-68(x2)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2008, 12:09 AM
GreatLakes's Avatar
Not Posting
   
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC0QNB View Post
Build a jpole, trim it accordingly, look here. Jpoles work very well for what they are

A dual-band J pole?
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2008, 12:38 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: California
Posts: 4,569
Default

A simple high band groundplane will work fine. It's almost all I ever used for scanning in that frequency range until I switched to discones. J poles are ok for single band operation, but just ok. I never much cared for them.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2008, 5:41 AM
KC0QNB's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Gothenburg, NE
Posts: 793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLakes View Post
A dual-band J pole?
I was thinking about another unit I had seen that is a 2m/440, dualband jpole, the link was just a quick grab. Arrow antennas make a dual band jpole that could be easily built from scratch. Check here,for a pic a dual band jpole yes they do exist.
__________________
Yaesu CPU2500R, 2x Bearcat III, old PRO-46, and a new PRO-136. DX-399
Grid Square DN90WW
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2008, 10:46 AM
blueangel-eric's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Emporia, KS
Posts: 761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC0QNB View Post
I was thinking about another unit I had seen that is a 2m/440, dualband jpole, the link was just a quick grab. Arrow antennas make a dual band jpole that could be easily built from scratch. Check here,for a pic a dual band jpole yes they do exist.
yes i forgot about the Arrow version. I have a homebuilt copy of the Arrow dualband jpole. works good for VHF not sure about UHF as its on a 2m radio.

eric Burris
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2008, 12:35 PM
eahuntley's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NW Portland/Beaverton area
Posts: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz0468 View Post
A simple high band groundplane will work fine. It's almost all I ever used for scanning in that frequency range until I switched to discones. J poles are ok for single band operation, but just ok. I never much cared for them.
When you say "high band", what frequency should it be designed for? Are discones typically the best for scanner antennas? Is it possible to home brew one?
__________________
KE7UAF Beaverton CERT

Radios:
FT-450AT, VX-2200(x2), FT-8500, FTM-350(x2) VX-414 VX7R; BCD396T, BC898T; GP-68(x2)
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2008, 2:38 PM
joetnymedic's Avatar
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: West Haven, CT
Posts: 941
Default

I made the of center dipole from the plans right here on rr.com. so did cougar06512. I pull distant stations on both uhf and vhfr like nothing.The antenna is great for scanner use as far as I'm concerned

joe
__________________
Uniden 396XT, Pro 163, BC345XT, BC700A, Pro 528. PRO 2018, PRO 136, Motorola Visar-UHF , Pro-197 (X2), Motorola CDM 1550' (X2) (UHF) Minitor 3&4 (4). BC200XLT, Baofeng UV-5RA (x2), UV-82L
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2008, 6:04 PM
KC0QNB's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Gothenburg, NE
Posts: 793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eahuntley View Post
When you say "high band", what frequency should it be designed for? Are discones typically the best for scanner antennas? Is it possible to home brew one?
High band is usually 150-170mHz, as opposed to low band, 30-50mHz, but then some consider 800mHz to be uhf high band, you decide.
Yea you can homebrew a discone, there are calculators available on the web that give you the dimensions, I bought mine readymade because the hombrew discone looks very labor intensive. Here is one example I found after Googleing homebrew discone and scrolling a bit look here. The first link I clicked is here, scroll down for discone.zip

C'mon guys you all obviously have internet access there are a lot of things you can google on your own, then if you can't find what you are looking for come back to the RR forum, and ask, try it sometime. rant over
__________________
Yaesu CPU2500R, 2x Bearcat III, old PRO-46, and a new PRO-136. DX-399
Grid Square DN90WW
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2011 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions