Indoor Antenna ? Live in Townhouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stretch5

Hi All,

I am brand new to this forum (Looks like I am going to be spending a lot of time here :) ) and this is my first post. I have a mobile Uniden Bearcat scanner and would like to know if there is a such thing as a powerful indoor scanner antenna ? Reason being is that I live in a townhouse which has a host of bylaws about attaching things to your house. Unless the antenna is really small, it would probably be against the bylaws to install an antenna to the house. This portable scanner I have is using the standard flexible anetenna that it came with. It is really having a tough time picking up communications......

Thnks for any help you can provide

N1BHH

There is no such animal. The best place for any antenna is outdoors. Building materials "swallow" signals and attenuate whatever you want to hear. Easiest suggestion is a mag mount on your air conditioner hanging out your window. Otherwise you won't get good quality reception,

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Another possibility would be to use your attic if you have one (most townhouses around here have them). While it will cost you some signal, it would be better than a simple mag mount at ground level outdoors, since height is as much a factor as size. If you have the room, a discone or ScanTenna would probably work pretty well, as long as you can get the coax down to your room without much hassle. 73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.