External antenna sugestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

wb3j

Looking for advice on replacing my disconne antenna with an antenna that will give me some gain and better performance. From what I have been told, the disconne doesn't have any gain to it, plus the feedline loss on top of that.

Most of the freqs I monitor are in the 150's range, just a few VHF low, (that's not real important), and some 800 mhz trunking here in Delaware.

The disconne on the roof is about 4 years old and wasn't the best antenna in it's class when I bought it. The feedline is 9913 and about 50' long.

I was looking at this antenna........ http://www.dpdproductions.com/page_scanner.html#scannerlp

Anyone have suggestions or opinions on this antenna? It's $180....which I think is a bit pricey, but worth it if it does better than what I have.

'73

Jim
wb3j

stealth71

Not sure, but I'll be interested to hear anyone else s suggestions as I just asked a similar question the other day. I listen to a lot around 155Mhz, so I was looking at the Antenex FG1523.

wb3j

Not sure, but I'll be interested to hear anyone else s suggestions as I just asked a similar question the other day. I listen to a lot around 155Mhz, so I was looking at the Antenex FG1523.

150's is my most used range of freqs.......the 800 is desired, but I'm close enough to hear that with my disconne. I'm in the same boat so I hope other chime in

Jim

digitalanalog

There are many many different antenna's that are available.
It just depends on how much you want to spend and what you
want to listen to (band wise).

I have allot of antenna's listed that might help you out.

Go here -> www.scannerantennasource.com

There is no one antenna that is "the right" antenna
Just do a little homework and go with one you like,
if it does not work as you like, sell it and buy another type.

Good luck to both of you.

SAR923

A good gain antenna is not cheap. The DPD antenna would give you the gain you want but I'm not sure how much you really need the gain. I've found the good old RS 20-176 ouperforms almost any other antenna for VHF and does fine for 800 MHz as long as you're not in a real DX situation. It will hear VHF-low but it's not very resonant there so the station has to be reasonably close.

Sinister

Premium Subscriber
I am currently using a discone in the attic which pulls in pretty good but Im trying to get a little more distance and one of the towns I listen too is hard to pick up. So I just purchased a scantenna ST2 and patiently waiting for it to arrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.