turn a rubber ducky into a mounted mobile antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mipsyop

Hmmmm..............was thinking to self, that nice 800 mhz RatShack antenna sure would be smaller and less conspicuous than that tall silver thingy I've got on my hood. I wonder if a guy could mount the short rubber 800 on my hood by running some coax between the antenna and the radio. Just curious.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Hell...

Just attach about 6 ft. of coax to the scanner and antenna and just dangle the coax out the window, if it rains, roll the window up on your coax.

All kidding aside though- yes, you could. But, if you are so worried about aesthetics, why would you?

mipsyop

well, the height factor is one reason........the duck is like 5 inches or so and the other one is 37. Since I go hunting and am in the grass and trees a lot, I thought the shortness and flexibility of the duck would come in handy.

Bandingabout

Both of the antenna mounts mentioned are good choices. The mag might suit you better as moving it around on the vehicle may be an advantage. The window bracket version I use to keep the whip stress off of my BNC connector when I use the Diamond RH77 on the Pro97. Surprisingly it clips to more than just a window.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
A quarter wave at 800MHz is only 3" and 3/4 wave which gives just a bit of gain is 9" so what's with "that tall silver thingy"? We don't call duckies dummy antennas for nothing, less signal than a simple quarter wave "stinger" puts you at a disadvantage. The only reason they're used on portables is for personal safety, you don't want to stab yourself with a steel rod.

Status
Not open for further replies.