Mobile Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

dale25

Hey Guys. Can I use a mobile antenna for my PRO-137 instead of a base antenna? Thanks!!

SAR923

Yes, you'll need and SMA to BNC adaptor for most mobile antennas though. If you live in an urban area, you may find a mobile antenna is too much for the 137, since you'll get quite a bit of intermod. I've found the long antenna that comes with the 137 is quite good for a stock antenna and will do just fine mount on the radio in the car for anything but simplex VHF systems.

dale25

Thanks. I live in Staten Island NY. You really don't think I will need any other antenna?

dale25

But could I use a mobile antenna and place it by a window and get better reception? I'm just trying to get a little better reception and was wondering if I can use a mobile antenna instead of a base antenna in my house.

SAR923

Yes, you can use a mobile antenna. It will work better if it has a ground plane like being mounted on a cookie sheet. Living in such an RF rich environment, you may find more antenna increases the amount of intemod without giving you better signal strength. Since the 137 has neither code decode or attenuator, it is very prone to being overloaded. You can always try a mobile antenna and see if it works for you but make sure you can return it if it doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.