Shorwave nOOb

Status
Not open for further replies.

elzebub

Hello everyone, I have always been interested in radio, especially shortwave, I think it started when I found a Zenith Trans Oceanic in the trash and fixed it up, anyway, I now have a Sony ICF7600GR which I really enjoy, but now I am looking to upgrade, the first thing I want to do is install a outdoor antenna, I have read alot of info on the net, but I am still confused with all the choices out there- longwire, dipole, sloper, inverted vee among others, one guy even told me just to run a wire to the chain link fence in my yard, I have about an acre to play with, I can't erect a tower but I have some room to play with, I don't need coverage for a specific band, I just want the best overall coverage, I will also be upgrading the Sony, but thats for another forum another day! Thanks for the help.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Hi elzebub - be cautious about putting too much of an antenna on the 7600. Like all portables, they are simply not designed to handle a large signal that big antennas such as a longwire can provide, particularly if you live on the East Coast, where HF signals tend to be somewhat stronger (where are you? City, county, state will do nicely). Even connecting a wire to a chain link fence might be too much.

Your best bet for a portable is a simple Inverted L - not too long, probably no more than 35 or 40 foot of total length (an inverted L counts both the flat top and lead in as part of the antenna).

http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/ant-1.html

What Clem calls in his article a 'random length' antenna is in fact a classic inverted L.

Being a cave dweller, I am envious of anyone who has an acre of land to put antennas on (worse, when you're a ham...). When you upgrade your radio, it will be time to consider what you want to hear, exactly. To a certain extent, that will determine what kind of antenna(s) you want to erect. Of course, with winter coming, time is of the essence (although a ham friend of mine once told me about Zimmerman's rule - any antenna erected when the weather is at its worst, works the best...and no, that's one rule you will never find in any manual :.>>)

You'll notice I used a plural. Fact is, there are times that one antenna will not bring in a signal as well as another. I am a proponent of having more than 1 available - hopefully through some sort of switch (which, for listening purposes, need not be all that complicated). Particularly now, when the sun is quiet (too darn quiet...), having more than one antenna in your arsenal - if you can - can increase your chances of hearing something.

73 Mike

Last edited:

elzebub

Thanks for the response 73 Mike, I recently found out how easy it is to overload the 7600 when I hung a slinky out the window and hooked it up, I live in Greenville SC, so the winters are pretty mild (I like wearing shorts on christmas!) I am looking at an Icom R75, I really don't have a preference when it comes to listening, I just run up and down the dial and see what I can find, which isn't a whole lot on what I have now. I guess I am trying to figure out the best antenna for my future radio, which is looking like it will be the Icom.

Status
Not open for further replies.