Using A Yagi Inside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndyEmsGuy

I am using a PSR500 to monitor two different P25 digital systems. One system is simulcast and most of the time all i get is garbled radio transmission. Reading posts and talking to others looks like I need to get a Yagi antenna. I live in an apartment and I am not allowed to mount any antennas outside. I have no windows that face the direction of the simulcast tower. Will a Yagi work inside pointed in the direction of the tower? I am not sure if the walls and everything else would block the signal. Also since I listen to two different systems if the yagi is pointed at the simulcast tower I probably wouldn't be able to pick up the other system, is this correct? The other system has a tower about 5 miles south of the simulcast one if I point the yagi between them would I be able to pick up anything? I would like some guidance on the best solution. Thanks!!!

byndhlptom

Inside yagi

Sir:

will work depending on 'how' you are receiving the sites. If you are actually receiving the radio signal through the wall, pointing a yagi at the site will help. I you are actually receiving a reflection off something (building, hill, etc) you may need to point the yagi at the reflective source. Outside type antennas work well inside, just don't have the elevation that they would have outside. Attic installs are very popular also. They offer easier access (usually) than the roof, the antennas don't suffer from weather effects, and they are not visible from the exterior, plus the coax runs tend to be shorter. As long as the roofing material is RF transparent, it's a viable option. There are even commercial applications where antennas are installed inside buildings, and other structures.

good luck scanning, the hobby can be addicting and antennas are a great place to experiment

tom

Tribull

If I could piggy back on this question, is there such a thing as a yagi that you could mount on a bnc mag mout?For indoor use.

ke5ldo

Years ago, i suspended a yagi antenna for tv reception from the ceiling of my downstairs apartment with cup hooks and fishing line. Looked funny, but worked better than rabbit ears.. worked very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.