CB Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

dale25

Hi. I read somewhere that you can use a CB antenna on a scanner. Is this true? I have a bigstick CB antenna and was wondering if I could use that on my PRO-137 scanner. Also, if the Wilson's 100 and/or 500 are good and can be used. Thanks in advance.

CherokeeKid

CB band runs between high 26 to mid 27mhz, if you gonna listen to cb, it will be good, other wise, you need an antenna tuned to what u wanna listen to

SAR923

You can use the CB antenna and see what happens. If most of what you listen too is low band VHF, it may work very well. Sometimes you can get antennas that become resonant on other frequencies because they happen to have the right wavelength. The probability is that the results won't be very good but you'll hurt nothing by trying.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I once used a Big Stick with the whip cut down for VHF Lo Band and it worked excellently. Use the formula 234/f (in MHz) and take a fine hacksaw to it, then you'll have to put a somewhat larger boot on the end to prevent moisture ingress and fraying of the fiberglass. Alternately you can cut down a 102" steel CB mobile whip; but in any case use a stainless steel split ring washer, the whip has a nasty habit of loosening without it.

While you're at it you really should coat it with a good quality marine fiberglass paint, they weather badly and get all fuzzy as the glass fibers are exposed. Another thing, since FM is nearly impulse noise immune it's about all that POS antenna is good for. I'll never again use a fiberglass CB antenna, being non conductive they are very prone to precipitation static due to charge build up on the fiberglass like rubbing it with a cat. That's why I replaced mine with a Ringo, being aluminium and "DC ground" the static hash went bye bye.

joehawth

KB1RRG
yes, you can use a CB antenna on a scanner,

I had an old BC 20/20 with no external ant jack, so I was able to go inside, cut the leads from the screw in antenna and wire them out a hole in the case to a CB mag mount with the connector cut off so i could use the scanner in my car
it worked great

Status
Not open for further replies.