Spray Painting RS UHF/VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Amazing. I guess sarcasm is a dying art form.

rescuecomm

Regular black paint is a good absorder in the visible electromagnetic spectrum. It doesn't absorb the RF spectrum the same way since the wavelength is much longer. The black paint used on some aircraft is loaded with other compounds to scatter radar waves.

Bob

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I have that antenna...the only thing that would help it, is leave it at the store... Get a real antenna.. unless you're REAL close to the transmitter location...

mancow

Database Admin
I don't know what you're trying to listen to but for it has been outstanding. It's not worth a damn for 800 but that's not what it's meant for. It's works great from Vhf air through Uhf.

I have that antenna...the only thing that would help it, is leave it at the store... Get a real antenna.. unless you're REAL close to the transmitter location...

airgreek

I don't know what you're trying to listen to but for it has been outstanding. It's not worth a damn for 800 but that's not what it's meant for. It's works great from Vhf air through Uhf.

a BIG X2

benjaminarthurt

Premium Subscriber
I agree, great antenna for VHF UHF, which is where the majority of the public safety frequencies are around here... Unfortunately I broke all three ground elements off mine while moving. Can anyone tell me the length of the original elements, I bet I could fashion something to replace them.

mancow

Database Admin
I can try to get some measurements but in reality it shouldn't matter that much as long as you are in the ballpark. I would say 20" would work fine.

DELCOLHFC

Just went to the attic and measured mine. I show exactly 19" from the hub to the radial's tip with the plastic cap removed, this measurement includes the lock nut against the hub.
I also must agree that this little cheapo antenna does a good job on the freqs it was designed for, I have it in the attic over the one story portion of the house which puts it lower than the bulk of the second floor and roof of the main house. Signal is passed to the cable drop amp/splitters via 50' of RG-11 and I am very pleased with my reception. This setup yeilds about 3 to 4 times the amount of stations/distance as my best handhelds or rear of set antennas from the best locations in or around the house.

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I painted mine day glow orange with purple spots just to annoy the neighbors. Now tell your wife the chopsticks were left over from Chinese take-out, cops cannot live on donuts alone.

N1BHH

Would it help to spray paint the following antenna black since I read that black helps absorb signal better?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103641

I think you just fell into a pile of dog doo. Where the hell do all these myths come from? That has got to be the most idiotic one I have heard yet. Maybe I'll paint mine International Safety Orange, that way I can see it in the fog. I guess you are gullible. If it sounds stupid, it must be stupid.

prcguy

There is no paint that will scatter radar waves to any extent or have any noticeable effect to RF bouncing off a surface. Stealth aircraft use other methods to absorb and scatter radar. Many paints will attenuate RF passing through a medium, just coat the radome over your dish antenna's LNB with black paint and watch the signals go away.
prcguy
Regular black paint is a good absorder in the visible electromagnetic spectrum. It doesn't absorb the RF spectrum the same way since the wavelength is much longer. The black paint used on some aircraft is loaded with other compounds to scatter radar waves.

Bob

N

N_Jay

There is no paint that will scatter radar waves to any extent or have any noticeable effect to RF bouncing off a surface.

You sure?
How do they work so well at lightwave frequencies?

prcguy

I worked in an area that tested things like we are discussing. A simple coating of loaded paint will not reduce a radar cross section enough to evade anything. I don't deal with lightwaves but if you think about it, light is a much shorter wavelength and the texture of some paints looks pretty large in comparixon.
prcguy
You sure?
How do they work so well at lightwave frequencies?

N

N_Jay

I worked in an area that tested things like we are discussing. A simple coating of loaded paint will not reduce a radar cross section enough to evade anything. I don't deal with lightwaves but if you think about it, light is a much shorter wavelength and the texture of some paints looks pretty large in comparixon.
prcguy

OK, sounds reasonable.

I am surprised you can not get at least a 3 to 6 dB difference though.

Would certainly not hide anything, but could make a difference.

And, Yes you can get significant shielding effects trying to pass through some paints.

Status
Not open for further replies.