Base Scanner Dual BNC antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayAir

I have a desktop scanner upstairs that I use to monitor various TRS's. There are a few 800MHz ones that I have to use a 2.5db gain 800MHz duck antenna to pull in clearly. With that antenna I lose reception in the VHF bands. So my question is, could I use a dual 90 degree BNC connector and put the 2.5db gain 800MHz antenna on one and a Watson Super Gainer on the other? Anyone tried something like this? I don't want to go through the hassle of an outdoor antenna. I live in a sub with an association and don't want to deal with the cable run either. If both antennas feed into the scanner I am assuming theoretically that would give me 800MHz gain and good VHF/UHF reception too? I don't know if there would be any interference issues?

RayAir

Thanks for the reply. The Watson Super Gainer is awesome on VHF/UHF, but that 800MHz 2.5db gain antenna I got blows the super gainer away on 800/900. I will buy the dual BNC connector then, thank you so much. This will go on a RS PRO-2051 so hopefully it will work as good as your 2052 set up.

N

N_Jay

"T"ing two antennas together without significant study is buildng a random antenna network.
Random antennas give random results.

Its worth trying if you like trying random thinhgs, why not build an antenna that give you the bands you need by design?

RayAir

"T"ing two antennas together without significant study is buildng a random antenna network.

Its worth trying if you like trying random thinhgs, why not build an antenna that give you the bands you need by design?

I have tried numerous indoor antennas and the results were highly variable. I even tried my mobile 2m/440 mag mount on a small steel plate on the window sill. That one performed the worst. I at least thought it would be better than the OEM antenna, nope! It was probably a ground plane issue since it was designed to be on the roof of a car. Also, I thought about the attic access in the master bedroom closet, but I still have to route the damn cable into the bedroom. The attic is appealing because I don't have to worry about lightning. I had a A99 CB antenna 20 feet up in a tree in my backyard that got smoked by lightning (shattered the bottom of the antenna). Luckily I didn't have the coax run going into the house at the time or to a radio. I did have the antenna grounded with heavy copper wire straight down to an 8ft copper ground stake. The wire and coax looked OK, but the antenna was hit probably by lightning jumping from the tree to the solidly grounded antenna. I have 3 trees in my backyard that sustained lightning strikes and 2 that lost large branches in a severe t-storm last June. So putting an antenna high up on the roof scares me.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider

didn't i just read this thread/topic a few months ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.