Best Cable for Scanning 3' Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

airgreek

So I need one 3 foot cable to hook up my scanner to a Diamond Discone D130NJ. I will take care of the connectors needed. What is considered the BEST cable (lowest loss)?

n5ims

I would say that by far the best cable (lowest loss) would be 6 1/8 " rigid coax such as the kind listed here --> http://www.psibroadcast.com/coax-rc.asp

Now that the "best" and "lowest loss" cable question is answered, let's get to the real question here. What coax should be used to make a 3' patch cable?

Without knowing any specifics, such as frequency or base vs hand-held scanner, I'd say that any decent RG-58 would do the job. It would be very minimal loss at that length and flexible enough to do minimal damage to the scanner's connector. Now if it's a base scanner and flexibility isn't as much of an issue, RG-8, RG-213, or 9913 would also be good choices.

In actuality, at a three-foot length, the quality of job installing the connectors will do more to create loss than the type of coax used (assuming you don't just try any old junk or be foolish and use RG-174).

k9rzz

In actuality, at a three-foot length, the quality of job installing the connectors will do more to create loss than the type of coax used (assuming you don't just try any old junk or be foolish and use RG-174).

Agreed. Use whatever you fancy, just do a good job with the connectors.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Just to give the horse one more whack (;->) RG-174 is used extensively for internal wiring and there is this from Wilson.

http://www.wilsoncellular.us/951116...4.html?zenid=61bac9d481c555a12cb25ae30d88ebbb

Still the point remains, like RG-58 and other lossy coax you really don't want it for the main antenna run but it's fine for patch cables and connector assembly is all important for both electrical and mechanical considerations. Then since it's cheap enough a pre-made jumper will save you a lot of hassle.

The horse may dead but it's not dog food yet and my pooch is staring at me with hungry eyes. Cummon, give me a little help here! (;->)

donc13

Premium Subscriber
So I need one 3 foot cable to hook up my scanner to a Diamond Discone D130NJ. I will take care of the connectors needed. What is considered the BEST cable (lowest loss)?

What are you using as a lead from the discone to your radio? Or do you mean 30 foot cable?

Presuming you've got a heavy lead from the discone to near your radio, then want to jump from that to the back of your radio.....I agree with the others....the quality of the connectors and their installation are more important than the cable itself. For a 3' connection...just about any 50ohm cable will work.

jonny290

Please tell me you're installing this antenna more than 3 feet from your operator location.

Or that 3 feet was a typo....

LtDoc

I think I'd have to agree that almost anything except RG-174 would be a reasonable choice for a three foot run.
- 'Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.