Question About Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ishyid

Hi,
I'm new to scanners, and I just bought a Pro-162 yesterday. I am already having trouble with frequencies farther away, because they are a little staticy, and even my local fire department when they talk through their mobile radios it is staticy. Will buying a larger antenna that i can mount on my truck help with this problem at all. Please let me know. Thanks for your help.

-Josh-

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: If you are using the stock "ducky" antenna that came with the Pro-162, it's not too bad, but not great either. There is definitely room for improvement.

It really depends on what you want to listen to, and how do you use your scanner.

If you are using it mostly in the vehicle, go for an "NMO" style mount and pair it with an antenna tuned to the band you want to monitor, or a multiple-band scanner antenna.

If you are using it mostly at home as a base unit, go for an outside antenna or something mounted in the attic.

If you are using it while walking around, or taking it from room to room, invest in a better portable antenna. The Diamond RH77CA is a safe bet. Also, the Radio Shack 800MHz antenna if you are listening to 800MHz trunked systems. And there are plenty of commercial handheld antennas out there from Antenex, Larsen, etc.

Even with a good antenna you won't pick up everything. Some transmissions may still be full of static just due to where the user is, low power, or nearby interference, etc.

hoser147

Not necessarily a larger antenna but one tuned to the band you listen to the most. If it is 800mhz it will be smaller, but getting it outside the cab will help as Oregantreehugger stated. Also terrain and power that is used will make a difference........Hoser

Status
Not open for further replies.