Connecting 2 scanners w/ BNC T adapter??

Status
Not open for further replies.

westside351

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I know there is a thread somewhat dedicated to this type of question but it really does not address my situation specifically so I would greatly appreciate any input on this question... here goes

I have two bcd996t scanners dedicated to 800 MHz receiving only with an outside antenna mast with one 800 MHz antenna mounted about 35 feet up. I am looking to connect both of these scanners to the one antenna and I'm wondering what the best way to do that would be??

I currently do not have any splitters or adapters between my antenna and radio and I'm curious if I could use a DNC Tee adapter l with a 3 foot section of jumper cable? ike the one shown below in the link to connect both radios?? I will not be adding any more than these two radios to this antenna so I really don't see a reason to have a four or eight multi-coupler style set up. So will this work?

Thanks for any help on this matter!
Derek

N

N_Jay

"T"ing an antenna line creates a relatively random antenna network.
Random antenna networks yield random results.

It is very likely that it will work on some frequencies and not on others.

There is also a chance of noise from one scanner affecting the apparent sensitivity of the other.

westside351

Premium Subscriber
Three-way BNC multi-couplers??

Thanks for the quick input! Does anyone have a solution or best suggestion to solve this problem? As I said I only need an adapter to accommodate two radios with one antenna, and I would like to keep a loss to a minimum... does anyone have any links to some products that would work for this situation?

westside351

Premium Subscriber
Three-way multicoupler?

Anyone had any experiences with this product: http://www.scannermaster.com/SP_1300_Combiner_Splitter_p/24-531025.htm

I'm just curious if this will work well without creating a lot of loss... reviews anyone? Also I plan to use a 3 foot section of RG 58 cable for the jumper... how bad is that going to kill my signal to the second radio? I would say with it being just a 3 foot section it wouldn't hurt me to bad??

Thanks again to everyone for the assistance.

This may sound a little janky, but I've had pretty good results with this method.

You can use a cable tv splitter and handful of those BNC to F adapters. Having worked in cable tv in a previous life, I happen to have a lot of stuff lying around that I could toy with. From what I've experimented with, standard cable tv splitters that you get from the cable company may or may not work well. The Antronix and Regal splitters that I have an overabundance of didn't work very well, neither did various random consumer brand splitters (Silver RS splitters, random 'RCA' or 'Magnavox' and the like.) The overpriced 'gold' splitter from RS seems to work the best, but you have to make sure it's the ultra-fancy looking more expensive of the two 'gold' splitters (15-2587 is the part number, 'bidirectional' is the claim they make on the package.)

I use this to hook my Pro-97 and my PSR-500 to my mast-mounted Antennacraft ST-2, I've also used this to split a car radio antenna between my scanner and the radio (the 15-2587 was the only one that would pass the AM frequency band, but the stock car radio antenna performs very poorly as a scanner antenna.)

I'd go with the method other people are using with the Electroline drop amps, but I'm in such proximity to multiple transmitter sites that I'd have to buy a bunch of filters to make up for it.

I should have mentioned, I've tried using the BNC T adapter method before and it really doesn't work very well.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
It will work I have 3 scanners on 1 St-2 antenna and I just used a cable tv 3 way splitter since I use RG-6 coax I'm picking up signals 40 to 60 miles away and my antenna is on a 20 ft pole.

Status
Not open for further replies.