RS 800MHz vs. Pro-106 Stock Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

I recently purchased a Pro-106 Digital Trunking scanner and have been happy with it so far. However, the stock antenna seems to be the only negative I can find. I went out and purchased a RS 800MHz antenna and it seems to be working a little better, but in my room I need to put the scanner on a tall desk to pick up trunking transmissions (which I also did with the stock antenna). Was it a bad choice to purchase the new antenna or will I benefit from it. Also, my local trunking system is a 400MHz system.

Thanks!

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
So in my room where I have trouble picking up a trunking signal, this Diamond RH77CA antenna will pick it up? Also, is it a good overall antenna (not just for trunking, but for conventional scanning as well.) Also, I am not for certain that my trunking system is a 400MHz system. How do I find out? I know that the control channels are all in the 400MHz range. Thanks!

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
So in my room where I have trouble picking up a trunking signal, this Diamond RH77CA antenna will pick it up? Also, is it a good overall antenna (not just for trunking, but for conventional scanning as well.)

It should be an improvement over the RS800 on the 400MHz band. Of course I can't guarantee anything, but numerous members on RR have been very satisfied with the RH77CA. It's great for the 150/450 bands, not the best choice for the 800 band however.

Reception depends on several variables.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Is it good for conventional scanning as well? Here is the link to my trunking system: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=1319. Is the Diamond RH77CA antenna the best choice for it? Overall, will I see a drastic change in the trunking signal with this antenna as opposed to the stock antenna or RS800? Right now, my signal in some areas of my house is weak and I have to find a "perfect spot" for the scanner. With the RH77CA, will I have to do this? Is the RS800 worth keeping? Thanks and sorry for all the questions!

Last edited:

rescue128

The antenna doesnt care if it is receiving a trunking, conventional, digital signal. It matters what frequency range it is made for. The RS800 is great for 800, because that is what it is made for. The RH77CA is made for the UHF and VHF ranges. This antenna will perform better on your system because your system is a UHF 400 Mhz range system. I would definately keep the RS800 around just in case you want to ever use a scanner on an 800 system. As far as reception in your house, an antenna may not have anything to do with that, there are many situational issues going on with the location inside a house.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Okay, thanks to everyone for the fast replies! I think I will go with the Diamond RH77CA antenna. From what everyone says, this is the best antenna for my system. If I still have trouble getting reception in my house, what would you reccomend I do? Also, will I see an improvement with the Diamond as opposed to the stock antenna? Thanks!

rescue128

I believe you should see an improvement, however I cannot guarantee anything because I dont know your exact situation. As far as in side your house goes, your only option may be to put an outdoor antenna up.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Okay, thanks. There is still one place in my room where the signal is strong, however, I still want to get this Diamond antenna. Overall, I think my signal will improve (hopefully!) Thanks for all of your help!

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Ordered the Diamond antenna today! I think I am going to return the RS800 MHz antenna as I really only listen to my local system which is UHF 400 MHz. Thanks again to all of your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.