Mobile VHF Antenna Mounting locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsheli

Hey guys! I have read up on several posts and am still unsure of the best place to locate my antenna based upon my restrictions. I will be using a 110 Watt Motorola VHF Spectra in the 150-158 Freq range. I have three possible places to mount my antenna. The left side of the hood, rear center (above third brake light) of my truck, or center of my aluminum tool box. I have two options with the third brake light configuration, Mag mount or drill a hole. Now is the gain I would be getting with drilling a hole be worth it to drill a hole? Also what antenna would you recommend for my install. Thanks Allot guys!
David
BTW I have a 2003 GMC Sierra Crew Cab Pickup

HarryWilly

Most of what it comes down is ground plane. By all means if you want to drill a hole - do it! Reception will be good, and when you are transmitting with 110W that will probably be the best place using a unity gain whip (~18"). If you do not want to drill a hole, you could do a 3db gain antenna (much longer) on the hood channel. It will transmit moderately better, because of the element, but in general, if you do not mind drilling a hole do it! And if you don't mind have a 3db gain VHF antenna on top, even better!

Magnet mount will not ground the antenna, and you will likely have poor transmit/receive, especially if there is a lot of background electronic noise such as EFI systems (depending on how the radio is installed). Similar problem with the tool box, because it is likely not a part of the grounding of the chasis, but also mounting an antenna behind a cab hurts propogation (the way the signal travels). If you had to do it on a toolbox you would need an elevated feed point, which costs quiet a bit and isn't easy to find

For antenna brand, most are close, but people claim that Larsens and Comtelco's are slightly better than Antenex antennas, but I like the Antenex and have noticed no difference. So just compare what is cheapest, just make sure it can handle more than 100W.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.