Ham's check this antenna out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
what do you intend to use this antenna for; 2 meter ham or VHF high band? The published specs do not cover the 2 meter ham band.

K

kb0nly

Maxrad makes pretty good stuff. You could build one too if you had the time and save some money, it would cost you maybe $30 in parts from Lowe's to make one, but that means you need to know how to build it and have the time to as well!

KC8RFE

I'm going to bet that antenna would work okay for receive on 2 meters but would not do well on transmit since it is not tuned for the 2 meter band.

prcguy

This antenna must be tuned to frequency and will only cover about 5MHz out of the 150-174MHz band. Its a good value for a commercial user that needs a directional VHF antenna but probably not for scanner use. A 4-bay dipole array will have about the same gain with a broader beam width if configured for directional use and will cover almost the entire 150-174 band without tuning. I had a customer with a point to point VHF system using the exact same Maxrad antenna at both ends and one end was in a valley with steep. almost cliff like hills in the path. Several months out of the year the link would seriously fade due to signals bouncing down the valley and changing with vegetation growth during the seasons. We replaced one of the 5 element yagis at one end with a 4-bay dipole array as an experiment and it fixed that problem completely. The two antennas had essentially the same gain but the wider beamwidth or the dipole arrays large vertical capture area was able to overcome the problem.
prcguy

W4JLR

Thanks for everyones help! Yes it will be for 2 meters. When I do VHF I am on a HT on the fire scene or in the fire truck. When I am at home I am doing 2 Meters. On the same subject is there any way to put up a Yagi and DI-pole on the same rotating mast?

W4JLR

I ended up getting the cushcraft 270-10s see pic should be here tuesday.

Attachments

• antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 262
Status
Not open for further replies.