Mobile Car Antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

airgreek

I am looking at the Valor PMM3B antenna. I want something small yet good performance. Does anyone recommend anything different?

bee

I got the last one "Amateur Electronics Supply" had about two weeks ago. And have searched for other companies that carry this but have not found any. Anyone know of another company, where these can be purchased? The pmm3b.

Thanks

airgreek

Well I just purchased the Workman KS3. I always thought the Austin Spectra was the best but from what I am reading here it seems they are the Monster brand cables for antennas, in other words way overpriced for what you get

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
Well I just purchased the Workman KS3. I always thought the Austin Spectra was the best but from what I am reading here it seems they are the Monster brand cables for antennas, in other words way overpriced for what you get

ya notice how the Workman KS3 is the same as the one in the link i gave you? though antennas direct don't have brand names listed. nice how sellers take a product and change the packaging and the labels and sell them as "their" own. I bought a quarter wave mobile from them and it was their own name on the package.

3mary2

Have tried looking for a Ham store in your neighborhood. They usuall carry something for CB's to Ham Operators and back again. Since this isn't thier area of expertise, it may be alittle more money thanonline. All the ham operators in thier stores are more than willing to help in any way.

Air490

The best mobile antenna solution I have found is to get a BNC magnetic base and put a handheld antenna on the base. I have used an old Diamond RH-771 (it's about 15 years old but still works a treat) and an older Maldol thin antenna. They have both worked really well on UHF and airband. I have tried the compact mobile antennas and most of them aren't much good.

Kevinbb

PSAP-Retired
Premium Subscriber

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
I highly recommend the Larson NMO 150/450/800 (I never leave home without it!). You can find one at HRO www.hamradio.com (search in the Descr field using 150/450/800). They are $5 cheaper at R&L, but they show them "On Order", while HRO shows them in stock. Anyway, you will have to provide your own NMO mount with this one. If cost is the final determination, then the Valor is the way to go, if you can find one.

HarryWilly

I bought the Comtelco tri-band which is basically the same length, element, etc as the Larsen and Antenex ABSCANC (same thing as well). I have to say it does a pretty good job on all bands, but what I am told is it is pretty much your best bet for the money, and the next step up is the Austin Spectra, but I am just now finding out that it is the Monster Cable of antennas... will have to see the performance.

Salesperson sold one to my Asst Chief and to local news agencies, but that might be because they believe in the placebo effect.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
I highly recommend the Larson NMO 150/450/800 (I never leave home without it!). You can find one at HRO www.hamradio.com (search in the Descr field using 150/450/800). They are $5 cheaper at R&L, but they show them "On Order", while HRO shows them in stock. Anyway, you will have to provide your own NMO mount with this one. If cost is the final determination, then the Valor is the way to go, if you can find one.
Why does everyone reccomend that larsen and the other brands like it? I just got that larsen scanner antenna and it sucks on UHF. i can only get the local PD and SO about half stregnth on the s meter from about 1/2 to 1 mile from the towers. forget about out of county stuff. i had the Comtelco 150/450/800 and it was the same and it went back last winter. now this winter i try again with same results. now back to my plain ole 1/4 wave whip again. hmm..... :(

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
Why does everyone reccomend that larsen and the other brands like it? I just got that larsen scanner antenna and it sucks on UHF. i can only get the local PD and SO about half stregnth on the s meter from about 1/2 to 1 mile from the towers. forget about out of county stuff. i had the Comtelco 150/450/800 and it was the same and it went back last winter. now this winter i try again with same results. now back to my plain ole 1/4 wave whip again. hmm..... :(

edit .
The Larsen scanner antenna works fine after all. i just remember when i was tinkering with the alignment settings on my FT60R i forgot to put the UHF side back to where it was and the sensitivity was down in the dirt. :roll: :(
but now all is good. :D

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
Need to buy a few mobile antennas.... small, discrete and sensitive.... trying to decide between the Scannermaster Scan Force antenna or the Workman KS3... I am familiar with the granddaddy of the KS3 (PMM3B) but have never used the KS3... Primarily monitoring 150/450/850, need something that will last a few years (our rat shack mobiles have reached the end of their functional life) and stick reliably to the roof of a moving vehicle... Thanx in advance...

Status
Not open for further replies.