Indoor Sputnick Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRHKY94

Hello:

It's not much and likely has been done before, but I thought I would post some pics of a project I put together today using some odds & ends with the RS 20-176 antenna (aka sputnick). I plan on using this indoors with my Pro-96 as a back-up to my outdoor Scantenna. I've already tested it on the second floor & attic and it works very well for my scanning purposes. It's also easy to move around the house.

Material:
6 Feet of leftover PVC for the mast
Christmas tree stand (leftover, as we now use an artificial tree)
$3 Metal bookend from Staples (used as a stand to hold the Pro-96)
Radio Shack 20-176 Antenna (Christmas gift this year)

Last edited:

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
pretty nice. now paint the mast and maybe the mount and it will shine. i use camera tripods for my indoor or portable base setups.

guitarbrian30

cool

Cool Idea-- My wife will love that:) ok she will not. I will show her and tell her what I am going to do for my antenna project.

I will let you know my results.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
how much money are those mounts? looks expensive but a new idea. less floor space then a camera tripod though you can't level it.

NYRHKY94

Thanks for the feedback guys....I think ;-) To be honest with you, I really didn't plan on putting this weird looking contraption together. I had a day off from work and one thing led to another. The room shown in the pictures is my home office/scanner shack......but as Petey Racer accurately stated, there is no way the boss will let this thing stay in there. It has already been relegated to an upstairs room out of sight from company. All I can tell you is that the little sputnick does a very good job inside the house. As I stated in my original post, this will be used on an "as needed" basis. My main antenna (outdoor Scantenna) is still used for the majority of my daily scanning needs.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
Thanks for the feedback guys....I think ;-) To be honest with you, I really didn't plan on putting this weird looking contraption together. I had a day off from work and one thing led to another. The room shown in the pictures is my home office/scanner shack......but as Petey Racer accurately stated, there is no way the boss will let this thing stay in there. It has already been relegated to an upstairs room out of sight from company. All I can tell you is that the little sputnick does a very good job inside the house. As I stated in my original post, this will be used on an "as needed" basis. My main antenna (outdoor Scantenna) is still used for the majority of my daily scanning needs.

always good to have for a backup. too bad you can't use it in your office. too much regulation.

guitarbrian30

test fail

My antenna test did not work. I got the look which we have all seen before. I still try to get that to keep her on her feet.

I do like that idea you had. I have a similar sputnik in my garage. Just hiding up in the rafters connected to the uniden for air craft monitoring.

Here is my question. what does the PVC do for the antenna? or is it just something to mount sputt too it? Is using my rafters acceptable or should I mount mine to PVC?

I would like to put something outside. Seeing all the other Flak that the other guys get with neighbors, city, wife, etc. Just would like to stuff it inside out of the way.

thanks

jscott02

I hung mine from the ceiling using a thumb tack and some fishing line. I had gotten it second hand and it no longer had the mounting hardware and I was antsy to get it hooked up. Works great! Plus, it's in the corner where no one can put an eye out by stumbling into the elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.