Radio Shack 800Mhz antenna a better general coverage antenna than the RH77CA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using a Diamond RH77CA with my PSR-300 almost since the day I bought it (well over a year ago). I recently bought the RS 800Mhz antenna in order to improve reception on the 800 Mhz trunk system in my area. To my amazement, I seem to be finding better performance across most of the bands and not just the 800Mhz band (but especially the 800 Mhz band).

It seems like i can hear 2 meter hams much more clearly with this antenna than even the RH77CA! I know that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it's the truth.

I think I know what the problem was though. I think the RH77CA is too much antenna for the PSR to handle. I think it was getting over loaded. Because with the RH77CA I was getting either FM broadcast radio or TV audio bleeding over on around 146.5-7 (2 meters).

Am I better off just keeping the 800Mhz antenna on the radio as my "mainstay" antenna, or should I continue to toggle them?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
your right

... after MUCH testing I found that the RS 800 is the best for 800 and 450 to 512 but NOT for 108 to 174 megs... it may be your ant is not the best for your situation... you should not have bleedover on a good radio even if the transmit tower is in your backyard... good luck...BOB.

Status
Not open for further replies.