Discone differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

smason

Hi all. I'm on the fence about buying a discone, or building a multiband like a sputnik clone.
My main target freqs are around 146 411 440 460 and 868 MHZ.

I know the Diamond is well-liked here, so I have no issues buying one, but I'm wondering if for my purposes I can get away with a cheaper more readily available unit. Most seem to be very similar in number and length of elements.

My actual question:

Given I don't care about anything below 108 MHZ, and won't bother installing the extended whip, and I'll attic mount it so weather/wind isn't an issue, is there much if any difference RF performance-wise between the $50.00 discones, and the Diamond/Comet $100.00 models?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
One of the major difference in discones is materials and quality of construction. The Radio Shack discone does not hold up well in high winds or ice.

One of the best 'bangs for the buck' in discones is the Workman T601 discone. There is a reputable seller on eBay that has them for only $36.95 + $8.80 shipping. That's pretty hard to beat!

If you need better performance on the low-bands, check out the T734 he sells for $45.95 + $8.80 shipping.

I don't know the seller and am not affiliated with them in any way.

Workmand T601 Discone
http://cgi.ebay.com/Workman-T601-Di...ItemQQimsxZ20081212?IMSfp=TL081212129005r2509

freqs

One of the major difference in discones is materials and quality of construction. The Radio Shack discone does not hold up well in high winds or ice.

One of the best 'bangs for the buck' in discones is the Workman T601 discone. There is a reputable seller on eBay that has them for only $36.95 + $8.80 shipping. That's pretty hard to beat!

If you need better performance on the low-bands, check out the T734 he sells for $45.95 + $8.80 shipping.

I don't know the seller and am not affiliated with them in any way.

Workmand T601 Discone
http://cgi.ebay.com/Workman-T601-Di...ItemQQimsxZ20081212?IMSfp=TL081212129005r2509
palcoelectronics.com has the workman 601 for $24.99

durango5550

Booger D.
thought i would chime in ....

I know price is always a factor but the ol saying goes "you get what you pay for"

I bought the workman discone from that seller yes it's cheap but thats exactly what it is ..cheap!

the first storm I had here with winds gusting at 35 mph destroyed the Workman discone but my Diamond discone held up without any damage what so ever. So with that said I recommend the Diamond discone yes it's pricy but well worth it.

ok someone else can have the soapbox.
:D
Dan

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
thought i would chime in ....

I know price is always a factor but the ol saying goes "you get what you pay for"

I bought the workman discone from that seller yes it's cheap but thats exactly what it is ..cheap!

the first storm I had here with winds gusting at 35 mph destroyed the Workman discone but my Diamond discone held up without any damage what so ever. So with that said I recommend the Diamond discone yes it's pricy but well worth it.

ok someone else can have the soapbox.
:D
Dan

You have my curiosity. In what way was it destroyed? They both have solid stainless steel elements. What part(s) broke, and in what manner?

Thanks

Turbo68

I use these discones Comet-DS3000/Diamond-D130/Diamond-D150/Icom-AH7000 at i run 20 metres of beldin-9913 coax cable and they are 12 metres high but it seems the Icom-AH7000 discone out performs all of them on receiving thats why i use 3 of the Icom-AH7000 and i will be replacing the other discones with the Icom.

Regards Lino.

ALINCO-DJX2000
AOR-3000/AOR-3000A/AOR-8200MK3
GRE-PSR500
ICOM-R3/ICOM-R20/ICOM-PCR1000/ICOM-PCR1500/ICOM-PCR2500
REALISTIC-PRO2035
UNIDEN-245/UNIDEN-396/UNIDEN-780
YAESU-VX7R/YAESU-FT8800R/YAESU-VR500

durango5550

Booger D.
You have my curiosity. In what way was it destroyed? They both have solid stainless steel elements. What part(s) broke, and in what manner?

Thanks

the elements were ripped off. Not sayin they are all bad maybe you got lucky and got a few good ones but the elements on the one I purchased were not Stainlesss steel. Just saying you should always be carefull what you buy on ebay or anywhere else for that matter.

Dan

DJ-Person

I'm considering a Watson discone WBD-40 any opinions?

I was wondering what the experts around here could tell me about the Watson discone WBD-40.
It is very large; 1.535M.
Made entirely of stainless steel.
50 Ohms impedance.
N type connecter.
Gain; 2.15 Watts.
VSWR; <1.5:1 (Whatever VSWR is)
And receives 25-2000MHz
I plan to use it for reception only, between 39 through the 800’s Mhz
I must have better reception. But I’m getting discouraged reading through so many unrelated topics in RR. Thanks for any help, DJ

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering what the experts around here could tell me about the Watson discone WBD-40.
It is very large; 1.535M.
Made entirely of stainless steel.
50 Ohms impedance.
N type connecter.
Gain; 2.15 Watts.
VSWR; <1.5:1 (Whatever VSWR is)
And receives 25-2000MHz
I plan to use it for reception only, between 39 through the 800’s Mhz
I must have better reception. But I’m getting discouraged reading through so many unrelated topics in RR. Thanks for any help, DJ
\

Where did you get those specs? gain in an antenna is stated in db not watts.

however, to your exact question....I have no experience with that particular discone, but I do use a discone (the Radio Shack model) mounted IN my attic. So i'm not concerned about weather resistance, wind resistance, etc. And I can tell you it works very well for what it is. It is an omnidirectional antenna. It receives equally well from all directions. Which means if you are in need of something that will pull in a specific "far away" (in scanner terms...40 miles or so) station....perhaps a yagi would be a better idea. They are directional....(like a TV antenna laid on it's side) so perform best only for where they are pointed, stations to the side or behind them are received poorly, if at all.

No matter what brand or kind of antenna you get...two things are very important....that the antenna is properly grounded (even if attic mounted) and that you use good high quality coax. A great antenna is worthless if you use crappy coax with it. The antenna can get a great signal, but if the coax loses the signal...your radio will 'hear' nothing.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
+1 on the RS discone.

I've had mine for quite a few years down here in hurricane alley (!) and have never lost any elements yet. The mast got blown over in Charlie back in '04, but the Rat Shack discone was still in one piece as should be.
edit: I'm sorry, I meant to write Radio Shack! my bad lol

DJ-Person

Don't wana rotate antenna

Sorry; I was wrong about the gain. This is the correct specs on the WDB-40 discone at ScannerMaster. I live in Payson, AZ. Not much around this little town for 80 miles so I guess I’m trying for something local. I’m thinking about hanging it in the attic because of the limited search range, 15 miles. And the desire to avoid lightning strikes, and mast problems. I live on the side of a small hill and I need to receive from three directions. Would a good enough antenna have no problem with reception within 15 miles, in an attic? I don’t know if the >$100 + shipping price is worth it. Radio Shack has discones for + or- $25 and $75 dollars, no shipping. Would these work in my application? Does size matter in a discone? Thanks for the help DONC13 & RAFDAV. DJ

FEATURES
- Length: 1.7m
- Type: 8 element omni-direct
- Impedance: 50 ohm
- Frequency: 25-1300MHz
- Polarisation: Vertical
- Connector type: Standard 'N' type
-Gain 2.15 dBi (in assembly instruction manual, a PDF format download)

This is the advertisement for it if you would like to read it;

(If you've been looking for a superior wideband omnidirectional discone antenna, this is it! This Wideband Discone covers the entire 25 to 1300 MHz range, perfect for the newer VHF/UHF scanners and receivers on the market. Constructed of all stainless steel elements and hardware, this antenna won't rust or corrode like others.

Includes a high performance N connector and a short stainless steel mounting tube. Handles 200 watts of transmit power as well for ham use on the 50, 144, 430, 900, and 1200 mHz bands. Only 5'6" tall and weighing 2.2 lbs, this antenna is easy to install and use. N connector.

A superior wideband omni-directional antenna covering 25-1300MHz, not only receives but can also transmit on 144, 430, 900 & 1200 MHz bands with a maximum power rating of 50 watts. Stainless steel construction complete with mounting kit and short pole. )

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Sorry; I was wrong about the gain. This is the correct specs on the WDB-40 discone at ScannerMaster. I live in Payson, AZ. Not much around this little town for 80 miles so I guess I’m trying for something local. I’m thinking about hanging it in the attic because of the limited search range, 15 miles. And the desire to avoid lightning strikes, and mast problems. I live on the side of a small hill and I need to receive from three directions. Would a good enough antenna have no problem with reception within 15 miles, in an attic? I don’t know if the >$100 + shipping price is worth it. Radio Shack has discones for + or- $25 and $75 dollars, no shipping. Would these work in my application? Does size matter in a discone? Thanks for the help DONC13 & RAFDAV. DJ

FEATURES
- Length: 1.7m
- Type: 8 element omni-direct
- Impedance: 50 ohm
- Frequency: 25-1300MHz
- Polarisation: Vertical
- Connector type: Standard 'N' type
-Gain 2.15 dBi (in assembly instruction manual, a PDF format download)

This is the advertisement for it if you would like to read it;

(If you've been looking for a superior wideband omnidirectional discone antenna, this is it! This Wideband Discone covers the entire 25 to 1300 MHz range, perfect for the newer VHF/UHF scanners and receivers on the market. Constructed of all stainless steel elements and hardware, this antenna won't rust or corrode like others.

Includes a high performance N connector and a short stainless steel mounting tube. Handles 200 watts of transmit power as well for ham use on the 50, 144, 430, 900, and 1200 mHz bands. Only 5'6" tall and weighing 2.2 lbs, this antenna is easy to install and use. N connector.

A superior wideband omni-directional antenna covering 25-1300MHz, not only receives but can also transmit on 144, 430, 900 & 1200 MHz bands with a maximum power rating of 50 watts. Stainless steel construction complete with mounting kit and short pole. )

Looking at what's near Payson, I'd suggest the $25 Radio Shack antenna (20-176) It is designed for the 150 MHz to 450MHz bands and that's what's in use near Payson. Use GOOD coax to feed from your antenna down to your scanner. My personal opinion, is the discone will not do any better for you.

Obviously, it is YOUR choice, I am only making a suggestion.

DJ-Person

I have been receiving freq in the 800 range. Not sure how many, but quite often. Would the RS antenna pull freq in to the attic at >12 miles? Also; I may want to move it up on a pole someday. And we have very server thunder storms in AZ. Which would you recommend , RS 20-176 or 20-043? Does RS have good co-ax cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.