Db 224

Status
Not open for further replies.

RWR1954

I have two DB 224's,was wondering if it would work if you put dipoles on the same pole.Pole on one was bent in a heavy storm.Could you do this and buy coupler to hook them up?Thanks

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Wow takes a lot to bend one of those...

Should work, the ones we put up were DB224 E Range and it came as several pieces, with some assembly required. Check with your local radio shop or the company's website and they should be able to provide you with one.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
DB makes a cofase harness I have used before when I was putting up towers and antennas. Are you using this for monitoring only or do you plan to transmit on this also. If just to monitor build your own to transmit buy the kit cheaper than replacing radios.

K

kb0nly

Wow takes a lot to bend one of those...

Should work, the ones we put up were DB224 E Range and it came as several pieces, with some assembly required. Check with your local radio shop or the company's website and they should be able to provide you with one.

Nope, doesn't take much at all!

We have had bent DB-224's almost every winter up here in MN. A little ice load on the mast and a little wind and they kink right over. I will dig through my pictures and find some to post for you, i know i have pictures of our DB-224 bent over at about a 45 degree angle, this was the second or third time it happened. The mast on them isn't that strong at all, if you side mount them and support them top and bottom the wouldn't bend of course, but in most applications they are only supported at the bottom end.

On the statewide linked repeater system in SD they have had more than a few of these fail. One bent backwards into the tower and had to be replaced, another bent over until it broke. I think i have pictures of all those failures as well, if not i can send an email and get copies of them from another guy.

In my opinion the DB-224 sucks, the harness's fail, the loops freeze and split open unless you drill a drain hole in the bottom end of it, we got some that froze and split wide open from moisture that got inside the loops from a bad factory weld that leaked. The other problem is they suck for omnidirectional use, your supposed to orient the dipoles so they are spaced around the mast, one facing each direction (see the manual if you want to see pictures of how to set the dipoles) to make them omni. They seem to have gaps in coverage when set this way though.

They do work good for their original designed use, mounted to the side of a tower with all the dipoles facing the same direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.