The never ending topic / thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

markandjere

Premium Subscriber
I know that this is a well covered topic but I will ask anyway. I plan on putting a ground plane antenna in the attic . The cable run will be less tha 50 feet, Most of the listening will be in the 450 to 470 range as well as 150 to 160 and limited low band . Now here it comes............ what type coax do you all recommend?

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
I know that this is a well covered topic but I will ask anyway. I plan on putting a ground plane antenna in the attic . The cable run will be less tha 50 feet, Most of the listening will be in the 450 to 470 range as well as 150 to 160 and limited low band . Now here it comes............ what type coax do you all recommend?
Many will disagree but if price is any consideration you can get a 50ft roll of R6 a lot of places for under 20 bucks. Just get some good connectors to replace the TV connectors that it will likely come with. We have a place here in Ontario, Canada called Princess Auto. They have a surplus section and I got 4, 100 ft rolls for about 40 bucks. Hunt down something similar in your area and you may be pleasantly surprised. The 75 ohm impedence of the RG6 is not as critical for recieve only. I have seen some folks recommend the Quad-Sheild if you are going to go the RG6 route. I don't know if that will drive the price up until it is so close to something like LMR 400 that you may as well go the extra mile or not. RG6 is also smaller diameter at about .25 vs .405 of LMR 400. Just depends on your bang for buck ratio.

smason

We have a place here in Ontario, Canada called Princess Auto. They have a surplus section and I got 4, 100 ft rolls for about 40 bucks

I saw some in Princess Auto here a few days ago. Packaging says RCA, wonder if it's any good?
There are wildly different qualities of RG6 out there.

N

N_Jay

RG-6 up till yesterday, but since YOU asked, I now recommend HJ8-50.:twisted::lol::twisted:

Are you expecting a different answer than given in all the other threads?:roll:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
And of course you got one from the usual source. I agree, RG6 quad shield is the best thing since sliced bread, being quite inexpensive and exhibits low loss characteristics up to near microwave frequencies I have said many times it gives the best bang for the buck. Being slightly larger diameter than RG6 it requires the appropriate F connectors. No problem there, they're the easiest to crimp on and can be adapted to quite a few other common connectors.

Uh oh, now we're going to hear all about signal loss in connectors and adapters; please ignore those who think they know better than the RF engineers who designed them.

As far as "RCA" coax or any such branded products are concerned all I can tell you is Toshiba makes the TVs and those three letters jack up the price by about a third. To quote the corporate web site itself; "The RCA brand is licensed to third parties for televisions, car stereo equipment, microwaves and accessories by Thomson Inc., the world leader in digital video technologies."

For what it's worth I bought a 500' roll of the stuff at Wal Mart for my good looks, wired up a CATV installation and an 800MHz antenna with it and have enough left to last a good while. I'd say it was one of the best investments I made. With the money you save buy a stripping tool and a crimping tool with the proper dies, you'll save yourself a LOT of headaches and have plenty of stunning smile left over.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
I saw some in Princess Auto here a few days ago. Packaging says RCA, wonder if it's any good?
There are wildly different qualities of RG6 out there.
Is there anything other than RG6 on the cable. It think the quad sheild stuff should have something to indicate thus.

N

N_Jay

Is there anything other than RG6 on the cable. It think the quad sheild stuff should have something to indicate thus.

Unless you are in a noisy environment, the quad shield is of little benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.