Antenna adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahoos4Life

How far are you going?

You mean with the cable from antenna to Scanner?

Well, I would be mounting the antenna on the chimney, and running a cable from the antenna to a room on the other side of the house, directly across the top of the roof, to the other side and down the wall, into the room

I don't know the exact distance, but it is a single story house with 3 bedrooms.

Do I just get some Coaxal cable?

elocutionist

To answer your first question, no, the adapter is not necessarily needed since you can put different connectors on either end of your coax. The antenna you are looking at has an N connector on it, so that end of your coax needs to terminate in a male N connector. Your scanner has a BNC connector, so that end of your coax needs to have a male BNC connector.

If you buy a cable pre-made with the right connectors on it, then no adapter is necessary. But it might be cheaper to buy a non-custom cable that has the same kind of connector on each end, in which case you'll need an adapter at one end. Looks like ScannerMaster has already thought about this, I see they sell coax with N on one end and BNC on the other.

I'm guessing your cable run is between 50 and 100 feet, so a good low loss coax (like Belden 9913 or maybe LMR400) would work well, especially if you are monitoring higher frequency systems like 800 MHz. Check out cablexperts.com for an alternate supplier.

Christopher

Wahoos4Life

To answer your first question, no, the adapter is not necessarily needed since you can put different connectors on either end of your coax. The antenna you are looking at has an N connector on it, so that end of your coax needs to terminate in a male N connector. Your scanner has a BNC connector, so that end of your coax needs to have a male BNC connector.

If you buy a cable pre-made with the right connectors on it, then no adapter is necessary. But it might be cheaper to buy a non-custom cable that has the same kind of connector on each end, in which case you'll need an adapter at one end. Looks like ScannerMaster has already thought about this, I see they sell coax with N on one end and BNC on the other.

I'm guessing your cable run is between 50 and 100 feet, so a good low loss coax (like Belden 9913 or maybe LMR400) would work well, especially if you are monitoring higher frequency systems like 800 MHz. Check out cablexperts.com for an alternate supplier.

Christopher

So this?: http://www.scannermaster.com/LMR_400_Coax_Cable_100_N_Male_BNC_Male_p/20-550969.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.