Tecom Conical Monopole Active Antenna 20Hz-1Ghz 201191A

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
20Hz??? That's the >lower< limit of a good ear's hearing range, the lowest note on a bass is around 40Hz so it made me suspicious immediately. As if you don't know 60Hz is AC mains frequency? One look at the picture tells me it's a bottle of snake oil, some kind of whirlygig salvaged from a discarded mixing tank. They'll sell anything on e-Blech, a fool and his money are soon parted.

prcguy

I guess Warren doesn't know about Tecom products or EMI testing. That antenna is really expensive new and is considered a piece of test equipment if its within calibration.
prcguy
20Hz??? That's the >lower< limit of a good ear's hearing range, the lowest note on a bass is around 40Hz so it made me suspicious immediately. As if you don't know 60Hz is AC mains frequency? One look at the picture tells me it's a bottle of snake oil, some kind of whirlygig salvaged from a discarded mixing tank. They'll sell anything on e-Blech, a fool and his money are soon parted.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I was suspicious also. However, did you look at all the pictures?

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The antenna needs a reasonably large ground plane under it and some versions are passive and will match across the upper 70MHz to 1Ghz range for transmitting.
prcguy

I see a power connector, probably for a preamp. Any idea what the voltage requirement would be? It's not shown on the label and I can't find the specs on their site. I know it's a long shot, but you are a guru in this type of exotic gear so I thought I'd ask.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
OK guys, but are you forgetting that this is a scanner forum? For our purposes that antenna is as useful as the proverbial thingamabobs on a bull. Quite often electronic scrap shows up on e-Bay, I used to deal in scrap so I know it when I see it.

prcguy

This is a scanner forum and the Tecom antenna in question would be a highly prized antenna for any scanner enthusiast or SWL. It could be broken and scrap or it could be working and wonderful. I have a garage full of similar things that are working and wonderful.
prcguy
OK guys, but are you forgetting that this is a scanner forum? For our purposes that antenna is as useful as the proverbial thingamabobs on a bull. Quite often electronic scrap shows up on e-Bay, I used to deal in scrap so I know it when I see it.

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it's a valid piece of equipment with a specific purpose in mind, but it's still not the cure to anyone's reception problems by any means. I wouldn't replace my Larsen 150/450/800, or 2/440 antennas with it.

W6KRU

I suspect that no one would build an antenna of that quality with a cheap amp in the base, especially this company. It likely has a quality LNA integrated. If it works, and you can deliver the proper DC, it could be a neat ant. IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.