Glass mount antenna problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndersonMBK

So yesterday I was washing my truck, and decided to remove the old glass mount antenna that I don't use anymore. I used a small screw driver to lift it off the glass slightly. I was being very careful, or so I thought. I still don't believe the force I used was anywhere near capable of doing this but..

I noticed this morning that the glass was completely shattered. I know it wasn't this way last night, as I used a razor to remove the glue.. I would have noticed it then.

My best guess is I applied more pressure then I thought I did, and the freezing temperatures finished it off last night.

Oh well.. Be careful removing glass mount antennas!

Attachments

• IMG00418.jpg
    IMG00418.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 6,330
K

kb0nly

Hmm, weird.. Did you apply any cleaner to the glass that could have contributed when it froze? Just don't see how this could have happened.

While on the subject, a quick and easy way to remove glass mount antennas... Go to any hardware or big box store and get yourself one of those retractable blade knifes, the kind where you can snap off the blade one segment at a time to start with a new edge, they go out far enough to give you the length you need.

Slowly work your way under the mount on a corner, once you have the blade underneath it slowly saw back and forth while lightly applying pressure to the mount in the direction opposite the knife, this will allow it to lift as you cut through the adhesive.

Once its off just finish cleaning off the adhesive with a razor blade and a bit of solvent if needed. Works for me every time.

As for this case, again, wow, thats very weird.

AlmostHandy

The razor is not a bad idea.

I used Dental Floss. It worked great, and there was no danger of breaking the glass at all.

Use it like a saw, and it comes off in seconds.

I've heard that used guitar wire works equally well.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
I bet you did put a little chip in the glass, the chip sucked in moisture as the temp fell, and the temps as you say froze, and the moisture expanded and broke the glass. Especially if there was actually a tiny crack besides a little chip.

k8mcn

Well, now you have a good sized hole,just run some coax through there, mount the antenna on the bed, and you'll be back on the air or listening!!!

sorry just had to say it :) :)

bballjh

I bet you did put a little chip in the glass, the chip sucked in moisture as the temp fell, and the temps as you say froze, and the moisture expanded and broke the glass. Especially if there was actually a tiny crack besides a little chip.

That would be my best bet on what happened

AndersonMBK

I'm thinking that's what happened as well. I was being extremely careful (or so I thought) not to put too much pressure on the glass. I didn't even let the screwdriver actually touch the glass.. must not have been careful enough.

If there were actual cracks, they were microscopic. I'm a window cleaner by trade, so I have a 6 inch razor blade. I used the blade to remove the excess glue, so I would have noticed any cracks or chips then, if they were visible.

I wished I would have thought of the dental floss.. that would have worked great. And I bet I'd still have a window...

donc13

Premium Subscriber
So yesterday I was washing my truck, and decided to remove the old glass mount antenna that I don't use anymore. I used a small screw driver to lift it off the glass slightly. I was being very careful, or so I thought. I still don't believe the force I used was anywhere near capable of doing this but..

I noticed this morning that the glass was completely shattered. I know it wasn't this way last night, as I used a razor to remove the glue.. I would have noticed it then.

My best guess is I applied more pressure then I thought I did, and the freezing temperatures finished it off last night.

Oh well.. Be careful removing glass mount antennas!

for whatever it's worth....I've taken a few of these off, (just a few), and do it by using a channel lock pliers and simply grabbing both sides and twisting clockwise or counterclockwise...doesn't matter) while keeping the pliers against the glass. That way there is no prying on the glass or need to saw, or cut the mounting glue. Kind of like I've seen done to remove rear-view mirror mounts on windshields.

AndersonMBK

for whatever it's worth....I've taken a few of these off, (just a few), and do it by using a channel lock pliers and simply grabbing both sides and twisting clockwise or counterclockwise...doesn't matter) while keeping the pliers against the glass. That way there is no prying on the glass or need to saw, or cut the mounting glue. Kind of like I've seen done to remove rear-view mirror mounts on windshields.

Reminds me of the last time I went to the dentist.. ouch.

I tried using a pair of pliers to grip the part where screw puts friction on the antenna to hold it in a certain position, but this part just crumbled apart.

AndersonMBK

I'm hoping my $0.00 glass deductible will take care of it.. until Monday I get to drive around in freezing weather with a hole in my truck.

Maybe next antenna I'll drill a hole. Couldn't get any worse.

ajbrenner

I'm cringing just thinking of you guys trying to pry and pull off a glass antenna mount with razor blades, screw drivers , and Channel Lock plyers. I get plenty of good advice on this board so please allow me to offer some in return. Use a heat gurn or a good quality blow dryer to soften the glue then you can gently pull back the mount with no damage to the window. Also works great fotr old decals. Car lease is up? Works perfect for unsticking that Sat radio or GPS mount you stuck to the dash.

K

kb0nly

Some good suggestions on here for removing these.. Heat gun sounds like a good one, dental floss i have heard of. The only reason i don't use a heat gun is because a local radio shop told me they used to use one for removing them but kept breaking windows from thermal shock. But perhaps it was winter time.

Get a garbage bag and some duct tape and cover that hole for now.. Heck even a layer of duct tape on both inside and outside just to block it.

Status
Not open for further replies.