ST-2 or the ST4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatshovel

Hello,
I have a question. I have been looking at two different antennas to hook to my Pro-197 radio. I have been looking at the ST-2 scantenna and the ST4 Discone antennas. http://www.starkelectronic.com/ac.htm Out of these two antennas which one would be the better choice as I mostly listen to vhf and uhf and some 800mhz. I looking into to building a 800mhz beam to use for that. Which antenna would hold up better and perform better?

Thanks,
Joey

stevolene

most folks on the forum say a discone antenna isn't favorable for the 800 bands, I have a ST2 and it works fine on most all bands for general listening. Once again for maximum performance you really need a dedicated antenna for each bandwidth your listening to, however in my opinion, I believe either of these antennas would work for you, just depends on what you want to spend

Sinister

Premium Subscriber
You may consider the fact the Scantenna is flimsy construction so it doesn't stand up to wind very well.
The older version had that issue the ST2 was changed to fix the problem. As far as I have seen so far in 50mph winds have had no issues.

Flatshovel

Thanks for the replys,
In terms of reliability and resistance to falling apart which is better? I remember having a scantenna at one time, worked great but broke every time the wind blew hard.

Thanks,
Joey

Status
Not open for further replies.