A few more antenna questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlmostHandy

I'll try not to spew, like I normally do.

1. I plan to use LMR400 as the feedline from a Wifi dish. Can I attach an RP-SMA connector directly to the LMR, or should I use a pigtail.

2. If I should use a pigtail instead of connecting the RP-SMA connector directly to the LMR400, should I use N , or TNC. I've heard UHF is very bad above 300MHz. Is that accurate, or can UHF connectors be used with a wifi connection?

3. How far above the ground should a ground plane antenna be, minimum?

Thank you.

JohnWayne

1. You can attach an RP-SMA to LMR-400, but the cable will put a lot of stress on the poor little connector on your equipment. You are best off using a jumper.

2. Use a jumper. Both N and TNC connectors are good up to about 12GHz, so it makes little difference performance-wise. N is more common on the prefab WiFi jumpers, but TNC may be easier to work with on the smaller jumper cable. Either will work great.

3. A ground plane antenna brings its own ground to the party. On HF, height above ground is a consideration, but you need not worry about it for WiFi unless you need height for distance or F1 clearance.

Lowa2

x2 on the jumper. It'll put way less stress on the equ. LMR240 is a fantastic material for Jumpers. Same loss as RG214 but is under 1/4 inch diameter instead of 1/2 inch!

AlmostHandy

Awesome! Thanks for the input.

Ok, My wifi dish is coming together. With the addition of a pigtail, I'll have to acquire some more cable ends before I can finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.