Antenna selection

What would you recommend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

markandjere

Premium Subscriber
OK it has been asked numerous times and I'm going to ask it again.

I am looking at several different antenna designs
Sputnik (RS 20-176)
Scantenna S2
Discone ( undecided make/model)

I would be monitoring many bands but mainly these-LO 29-54 , HI 148-174 , UHF 450-470 again these are the main interests but not limited to I will listen to just about anything. I will get the usual sarcastic posts ,I know , but most of the posts will have educational value to me . How do you learn if you don't ask ,even if it is a "dumb" question? Many Thanks in advance!

( DUCKING AND COVERING!!!!!!!!LOL!!!!)

Last edited:

digitalanalog

OK it has been asked numerous times and I'm going to ask it again.

I am looking at several different antenna designs
Sputnik (RS 20-176)
Scantenna S2
Discone ( undecided make/model)

I would be monitoring many bands but mainly these-LO 29-54 , HI 148-174 , UHF 450-470 again these are the main interests but not limited to I will listen to just about anything. I will get the usual sarcastic posts ,I know , but most of the posts will have educational value to me . How do you learn if you don't ask ,even if it is a "dumb" question? Many Thanks in advance!

( DUCKING AND COVERING!!!!!!!!LOL!!!!)

Have a look around my site, there are MANY antennas to choose from.
www.scannerantennasource.com

Best of luck with your choice.

djeplett

I voted the Scantenna because it will outperform the Sputnik on VHF-Lo. If you had said you were interested in only VHF-Hi and UHF then I would have recommended the Sputnik. I have a Sputnik for scanning and it does great on those bands. (Because that's what it's cut for.) While I have copied VHF-Lo traffic on my Sputnik, I can tell you that it's a no-brainer that the Scantenna will do better since it has larger elements tuned for that band.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
What, no choice for BOTH? I have a Sputnik (actually 2) and an ST2 on the roof and they both perform well for what I listen to.

markandjere

Premium Subscriber
I basically am looking for only one antenna right now . I don't want to press my luck with the homeowner association(which would be the wifey)!! I understand the sputnik does well for the money but it appears that the S2 does a little better. Thanks Fuzz.................

2ManyToys

Premium Subscriber
I voted discone only because I have no experience with the Scantenna.

I don't monitor much on the low end but it does seem that my Diamond discone pulls stuff under 100MHz better then my Sputnik due to (I assume) its loaded coil element.

radiopro52

I used the 20-176 for a while, and it was very good on VHF. It was also good on UHF, but not as good. It was only fair on 800 Mhz. I never used the scantenna so it may outperform the sputnik since it has more elements on it. But I hear that the ST2 can be fragile in heavy weather.

markandjere

Premium Subscriber
I have seen a reinforcment thread for the Scantenna on here some where but I think that there is also a thread on the S2 being designed to to be stronger as well..............

2ManyToys

Premium Subscriber
Looks like maybe I should try to wrangle a Scantenna in the attic as a 3rd antenna.

One thing about the Sputnik, its almost TOO strong on VHF, even in the attic. I get weather freqs. bleeding over on other VHF freqs. sometimes.

Sinister

Premium Subscriber
Looks like maybe I should try to wrangle a Scantenna in the attic as a 3rd antenna.

One thing about the Sputnik, its almost TOO strong on VHF, even in the attic. I get weather freqs. bleeding over on other VHF freqs. sometimes.

Hope you have a tall attic cause mounting has to be vertical and the ST2 is about 102" in height. I am very happy with the ST2 performance and it was redesigned to fix the issue with it breaking in a strong wind. I have had winds gusting to 50mph or more and it held up just fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.