need some help with this discone :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Well went out and got this the other day and shes now in my attic about 25 feet up but again inside
DS150S Discone Antenna W/65' Cable 25-1500 MHz - Canada

Was just curious is there a element i can trim for better 800 mhz reception? its solid in the 140 mhz range just a bit lacking in the 800s, i Know its not ideal in the attic but its the only place i can put it lol too many sat dishs outside as it is :) Or should i just leave it alone? its running my uniden 396 but soon to be on a 996
thanxs Jeff

w5cyc

I think one of the primary purposes of a discone is to be wide banded, and yours is advertised to be just that. So I think I wouldn't be trimming elements, even if it's not everything on 800 you dreamed it would be. If most of your targets are 800, you might consider a tuned yagi, which most likely would make you wet your pants on that band.

SCPD

QRT
Yea its wierd i cant have both worlds it seems lol theres a lot of digi stuff in my area and a lot of the apco 800mhz its not bad on the 800 just not like my rs 800 ducky :)

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
While a discone is wide band (to a point) it works best where it's resonant, on VHF, UHF and near microwave frequencies. The frequency response curve looks like a roller coaster so there are dead areas, 800MHz is usually one of them so for this band like with most scanner antennas a separate 800MHz antenna is recommended.

DO NOT CUT THE ELEMENTS trying to "improve" a proven design, you'll only louse it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.