needed fm/am radio antenna for my metal workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

autos

hello I have a mini system in my workshop. panasonic sa-ak27 if it matters.

the rear of the unit has 4 terminals for antenna. 2 for am loop antenna and 1 for fm signal and 1 for grn

my workshop is all metal and I dont get any fm. (radio came with single black wire as ant) does nothing in the workshop)

I am looking to add a cheap simple outdoor antenna.. any ideas?

2ManyToys

Premium Subscriber
Always wondered if a wire with a alligator clip connected to the tin building would work? Guess that wouldn't be good in lightening though.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Methinks you have the antenna terminals backward. The wire is the AM/FM antenna, that goes on the AM antenna terminal or a loop if supplied goes between the AM and ground terminals. You can also put the wire (should be a 1/4 wave 31" long) on the FM terminal closest to the ground terminal, these are your 75 ohm FM connections. A 300 ohm balanced output antenna such as the cheapo Rat Shack folded dipole made from TV twin lead goes between the two FM terminals, ground is ignored.

If you can receive local stations on another receiver without outdoor antennas you should be able to receive on this one too, just observe the proper connections whether you use simple indoor antennas or more complex outdoor ones. One caveat, AM in one of those AM/FM stereo receivers is often an afterthought and a poor one at that. The AM section may be easily overloaded by strong local signals causing stations to appear on the dial in places they aught not be and lots of "interference" all over the band. If you use a wire antenna make it barely long enough to receive those strong locals and forget about the rest, sometimes a foot or two makes all the difference.

"Always wondered if a wire with a alligator clip connected to the tin building would work?"

An alligator clip hanging from your earlobe or lower lip works rather well (makes a handy roach clip too) but if you want to fit in at a rave you'll need more metal applied to sensitive areas of the body, then attack your hair with scissors and fluorescent green dye. Jump up and down with clenched fists and an agonized look on your face while screaming I LIKE PAIN and you're bound to be a hit, maybe GET one if you're lucky.

hoser147

ROFL Warren sometimes your too much. Back to the metal building, I know of several that kill reception completely. As soon as you walk out the door its a day and nite difference, I cant even get out with some with a cell phone. Your best bet is to put up an exterior antenna. A friend even has a mag mount with a Motorola plug on it, to his stereo, works great.

autos

thanks for all the replies..

ya the metal is a problem not only is the outside metal but so is the inside.. so 2 layers.
I was just working on the AM.. and the panasonic loop antenna seems to be working right now.. what I did was extend the 2 wires for the am loop and ran it closer to the window. some hot glue and am is fine for what I need it for.. so now just need to deal with the fm
forsure I am going to mount a external antenna. on the very top of the roof ^ at the peak.,
something with coaxial to the radio. plus I will ground the support of the ant for safety. I need somelike not to large to look like nasa lol.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hey, I aim to please when I'm not aiming to kill someone. Rafday you reminded me of a picture I have, a fashion model wearing a dress supported by nipple rings... OUCH! No I won't post it or provide a link, that is unless you want my entertainment sharply curtailed.

Auto, I suggest lightly twisting those "extension wires" so they aren't part of the antenna which may pick up electrical noise that so plagues the AM band. FYI guys the old "twisted pair" was more than a telephone line, it was also a (low power) transmission line where parallel wire open feeders couldn't be used in the days before coax.

You MAY have a bit of a problem locating a simple omnidirectional FM antenna (a Yagi requires a rotor of course) at a reasonable price. A while back I was checking around and found a rod type for around $100 and a turnstile not a whole heck of a lot cheaper after much searching the internet. Too bad Rat Shack doesn't carry the FMT-1 turnstile or the FM-10 Yagi anymore and I think Finco went out of business anyway, oh well.... I wish you the best of luck, better than I had.

Status
Not open for further replies.