Antenna Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

taz81685

Premium Subscriber
I am looking for the best antenna for my GRE PRS600? I have a 2.4G wireless antenna I used for WiFi and don't know if that will work? I am using my 600 for a base model in my apartment but also moving it to the truck on occasional long trips. I would really like to scan all frequencies but I'm guessing 800 will be my most used. I have an old BCT8 that had an extendable antenna and a wire antenna that sticks to the window. Any suggestions on the perfect antenna for my operations???

Josh

a wifi antenna probably won't work well.

If 800Mhz is what you're going to use on a portable scanner, the radio shack 800Mhz antenna is the best option.

an antenna that works well in all bands can be somewhat tough to come by, especially portable antennas. There are 150/450/800Mhz mobile antennas made, with NMO connectors that would require at minimum an NMO magnetic mount, then wired to your radio to make for decent all-band coverage

taz81685

Premium Subscriber
Well i'm not looking for a portable scanner. I'm looking for the PSR 600 which is a base scanner. I am looking for a great all band antenna, because i don't want to loose reception on other frequencies when I just have an 800MHz antenna. And magnet mount to a car is key.

taz81685

Premium Subscriber
Don't know why it doesn't compute??? Josh kept referring to me using a portable scanner when I am not. I am using a Base PSR 600 in a mobile application. And the second part states that I want an antenna that mounts to my car with a magnet not permit. So what part does not compute???

Josh

I thought I wrote an addendum to this... I am not keen on newer scanner models, but anyhow... look for that tri-band antenna, it'll work fine from 100-1000 most things are in that bracket anyway. It's a tough task to find an antenna that is a jack of all trades, that doesn't have something significant to trade-off.

xonxexoox

Wifi Antenna

I beg to differ on this subject. My Hawking H-AI6SIP Hi-Gain Antenna wifi antenna is outperforming any of my aftermarket handheld or base antennas and I own many different ones. It works so good on my Pro-106 that I get front end overload on close signals but that’s easily fixed by turning on the attenuator on those channels, on the other hand I am picking up signals over 60 miles which could never be done with my other antennas. I wanted to test this idea a month ago because I also own many wifi antennas. I went over to RS and pick up a screw on bnc connector ripped off the sma connector on the hawking antenna and put the bnc connector on the antennas cable filled the extra space with hot glue because the antenna cable is a little smaller than your regular coax then wrapped it in electrical tape after that duct tape “a little over kill” but I tented to be a little rough with my antennas LOL. I have mine taped on my wall so it does not take up the room on my nightstand (photo enclosed). Also today I came across a site that sell an adapter that might suite your needs www.cablesandconnectors.com/31300-31 Part # RFA-8832 at $6.99 you can go wrong just waiting for it to arrive so I could test my other wifi antennas. Hope this helps ..Good Luck and Happy Testing.
Kurtis

Attachments

• 100_0412.jpg
    100_0412.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 237
Status
Not open for further replies.