New Omni X for my scanner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zard0z

Just got my new antenna OMNI X from DPD Productions.

DPD Productions - Scanner Antennas

The antenna came in a well packaged box and was in very good shape when I opened it.
I checked out all the parts and read the instructions (really!) :) They were very clear and
easy to follow. There is not much to assemble and it is important to do it correctly.
All elements went in ok except one. It was a tad big or the holes were a tad small.
This made it a challenge to align the holes so that the screw would tread properly.
But after a few tries and a small flashlight I was able to set it in.

I had a 15ft cable so I HAD to connect it and hear what it could do inside! (first pic)

Well at first listen it makes a big difference! I can't wait to mount it on my pole outside.(second pic)
My side mounted roof pole is about 30ft off the ground and clears my roof by 8 feet. So this
should be a good place for it.

I have attached two pictures of my project and will add another post after I get my new bury flex
cable and mount the Omni X outside!!

Z

Attachments

• inomnix.jpg
    inomnix.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 1,660
  • outomnix.jpg
    outomnix.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,381

DPD1

What happens on the tight fit ones sometimes, is that every once in a while a few sticks of round will have been extruded through a die at the mill that had some sort of flaw or was getting old. That leaves a little line sticking out along the side, just like those play-dough things for kids... So then that little line makes it slightly wider than it's supposed to be. It's hard to catch them because maybe one out of 20 sticks will have it.

Zard0z

Omni X Performance

Thanks for that info David. It was not a big problem and your directions were great as to how to put it together.

After a couple of days with the Omni hung inside my house it is very clear that it has at least doubled
my ability to pick up more activity! Like I said I can't wait to get it on my outside pole!

Z

radiopro52

I'm very happy for you. The DPD antennas are excellent quality. I've always wondered how the OmniX compares side-by-side with the LP.

And, Dave, I see you put RG-8 on the LP now. I knew I should of waited, lol.

Last edited:

DPD1

I'm very happy for you. The DPD antennas are excellent quality. I've always wondered how the OmniX compares side-by-side with the LP.

And, Dave, I see you put RG-8 on the LP now. I knew I should of waited, lol.

8X actually... But I'll swear on a bible, you would not hear a difference. I decided to switch to that because it apparently seems to satisfy people more, but mainly, it cuts down on the number of different parts to stock with connectors and everything.

Zard0z

X or LP

Yeah I went for the X because it looked easier to mount for my purpose. Also I am under
the impression that it is the same front to back. North/South is where all of the activity will be
for me in my area. The LP looks good too and If I get more bitten by the bug I might just have to
have that one on the other end of my house! :)

Just got my handheld today and am now able to compare mobile antenna to Omni X!

I would say it is about a 40% boost in reception and the X is still inside......

New handheld is the BC246T and it is sweet! BC246T - The RadioReference Wiki

Z

radiopro52

8X actually... But I'll swear on a bible, you would not hear a difference. I decided to switch to that because it apparently seems to satisfy people more, but mainly, it cuts down on the number of different parts to stock with connectors and everything.
I still take your word for it. It's just that my curiosity can't help but wonder since I've had bad experience with RG-58, even at short lengths. But that was also Radioshack RG-58. I have a motto that every bit of extra signal helps, but that motto may very well be false :D

Zard0z

Antenna UP!

Ok here it is up outside and working! I hate running cable thru an attic! ;)

Attachments

• OXfirst.jpg
    OXfirst.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 1,219
  • outomnix.jpg
    outomnix.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,055

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This might be an artifact of the image here (in other words, an illusion) but it appears that the pole is long enough, that if it falls, you could contact what looks like either the power or phone line from the house. Not a good situation at all!

Having traveled a lot in the NW in the 80s and 90s, I know you don't get many thunderstorms, but where's your lightning protection? And is that long pole grounded?

Safety first, after all. 73 Mike

Zard0z

yeah kinnda looks like it might. But it would not hit the power line. Other picture has the same pole no mods.

No it is not grounded but should be! The other antenna has been up since 88.
But that does not mean I should not ground the new setup. I just have to learn how to do so
correctly.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Even the phone line has a fair amount of voltage. I'd strongly consider moving that pole, if you can.

There has been many postings in this forum about proper grounding. I'd start using the search tools and reading. Never skimp on safety.

73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.