HLP Antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little_skip

Hi everyone,

I would like some help with the HLP (Hybrid Log-Periodic) Antennas if possible. I know nothing about antennas, yet I have a paper to write about HLP Antennas (characteristics, calibration and so on) and I didn't find anything about them. I found only datasheets for some of the HLP antennas (mostly from TDK). Would it be a start to search about log-periodic antennas and adapt the information? What would be the difference between them?

Maybe it would sound like a stupid question to all of you, but I really don't know where to start. Can someone give me a bit of help?

Thank you.

Little_skip

That is the same question I've been asking myself.
This is all the details I've got and as example I should study HLP 3003c from TDK.
I am asked to describe the equipment, types of electromagnetic compatibility tests done to it, characteristics, parameters, technical data, calibration, antenna factor, maxim power and the 3003c.

I was thinking I should find several antennas composed from log-periodical antenna and another type, but wasn't really sure. Thanks for taking a look at this.

prcguy

Usually a "hybrid" log periodic has a broad band dipole as the lowest frequency element, sometimes a bow tie, sometimes a folded bow tie or even a biconical. Log periodics are well documented and lots of design info is available but I don't know where to start to find specific design info for implementing the broad band low frequency element. You will basically have to Google till your fingers bleed.
prcguy

Little_skip

Usually a "hybrid" log periodic has a broad band dipole as the lowest frequency element, sometimes a bow tie, sometimes a folded bow tie or even a biconical. Log periodics are well documented and lots of design info is available but I don't know where to start to find specific design info for implementing the broad band low frequency element. You will basically have to Google till your fingers bleed.
prcguy

I know where to start my search now. Thank you very much for the info. I'll go and see how soon my fingers start to bleed now. :)

DPD1

That is the same question I've been asking myself.
This is all the details I've got and as example I should study HLP 3003c from TDK.
I am asked to describe the equipment, types of electromagnetic compatibility tests done to it, characteristics, parameters, technical data, calibration, antenna factor, maxim power and the 3003c.

There's people that make a living with that stuff that couldn't explain all that. How can they expect you to write a paper about something that in-depth without even knowing the basics?

Little_skip

There's people that make a living with that stuff that couldn't explain all that. How can they expect you to write a paper about something that in-depth without even knowing the basics?

I think I should ask my teacher about that. :)

k9rzz

Well, I can tell you it's not a typical log periodic.

http://www.tdkrfsolutions.com/WebDataSheets/HLP-3003CWebSheet.htm

HLP-3003C.jpg

http://www.tdkrfsolutions.com/WebDataSheets/LPDA-0801WebSheet.htm

LPDA-0801-large.gif

As a start, maybe you could compare and contrast the 3003c with their other LPDA (log periodic dipole arrays)

Their web page is chalked full of good data sheets full of graphs and stuff to make your paper shine - http://www.tdkrfsolutions.com/DataPDFs/TDK-LPDA-0801.pdf

Do you think the prof. knows antennas all that well, or perhaps just pulled one out of a catalog - "eeny, meeny, miney, mo" ??

EM compatability tests? Like what? Digital vs Analogue? YOu might ask to have that clarified, the rest is all comparison from the data sheets (provided by TDK). They've done the testing, you just have to regurgitate it.

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Now we're getting somewhere but the question is where are we going? I guess you'll just have to pick one particular hybrid and go with it, just don't ask me what the heck that bat wing behind the log is. (;->) The lower picture is your typical LPDA and I'll bet that came out of a scanner/ham antenna catalog. Speaking of ham antennas there are several commercially made log hybrids floating around, pretty much band specific nested Yagi arrays sharing common elements. Design parameters are published of course if you can get past the advertising hype but it gives you something to go on at least.

On an aside, made for HF work they're enormous and great performers BTW. I know someone who has one and he loves it, one antenna does it all and very well. Before the pedants attack I should except 160 and 80M, they give new meaning to the word waveLENGTH. (;->)

Status
Not open for further replies.