Scanner Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoreyWelch

Hey everyone, I'm new to this site, although I have browsed before. I'm looking for some guidence on buying an mobile antenna for scanning. Right now, I have a handheld radio shack scanner clipped to the passenger side visor in my car. It's used for local FD and PD because I am a freelance news videographer. The stock antenna seems to be fine for my city and several surrounding cities fire departments, but the police and further FD freqs break-up and have spotty reception. Basically, I want to add an antenna on the trunk of my car (Ford Taurus) and run the cable up to the scanner so I can plug in to that while in the car and hopefully get better reception. I dont know too much about this stuff so I was hoping you guys could help. Trying to keep the budget tight.

I've looked at several antennas, either magnetic or trunk lip mounts, which I plan to put in the center of the trunk (closest to the rear window). What about this antenna from ebay:

HAM 2 BAND mini Mag MOBILE Scanner or Handheld ANTENNA - eBay (item 270331909417 end time Feb-16-09 14:17:59 PST)

...or the Cobra HA-1000 from radioshack? I dont want anything too tall. Any other suggestions on cheap antennas? Also, the cable attached to antennas seem to run 9'-15' in most cases. What is my best bet for extra cable if I need it to complete the run? I'm really only looking to get better reception than the stock handheld antenna, but I dont want to screw it up and/or waste money by buying an antenna that wont work well with a scanner or by not using the right cable for an extension.

Thanks!

bee

"pmm3b" is an excellent low profile antenna, if you can find one! I think they have been discontinued, for whatever reason.

The ks3 is "almost" identical in looks and preformance. They are mag mount and are about 13 inches tall. Check with "R@L" and "universal".

ka5lqj

Mag-mount in center of the roof.....

Cory, All,

First of all, what band of frequencies do you plan on monitoring? Without making your Taurus look like "Whip City" and a "Whacker"n (crazy, rent-a-cop, wannabee), you need to settle on what bands do the agencies use (fire/police/ems). Depending on the city/county area, most are likely to use hi-band VHF (150-174 mhz), low-band UHF (450-512 mhz), but let's not forget 800 mhz "trunked".

I can certainly understand in keeping the cost low and the "rip-off" factor (low-hanging tree limbs, car washes, and destructive "jerks"). The 'ideal' place would be center roof of the Taurus, as it would give you an omni-directional (almost circular) pattern of reception. Now, a mag-mount or trunk-lip mount on the rear deck is next, provided that the antenna is very well grounded to the car frame.

Cars now a days have electrical fuel pumps in the tank and they produce "noise", your wheels might also produce "noise" as the radial tires roll. :-( This is why you want the antenna (at the base) grounded well. Vehicles have a lot of plastic, insulating things, so you may have to invest in some grounding braid to do this. As time passes, cars are becoming more "electronic" and those circuits generate "static", which your handheld will pick up.

Now, there are MILLIONS of antennas out there. They're like fishing lures...and more fishermen are caught on fishing lures, than fish, LOL! I would check out "reviews" of antennas on different ham sites: www.qrz.com; e-ham, etc. Then, make your best decision and get the best you can for your money.

BTW, there IS no perfect antenna, LOL!

If you need guidance, you can e-mail me.

Respectfully submitted,
73 (Best Regard)

Don/KA5LQJ

Status
Not open for further replies.