2 antennas 3 scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlmostHandy

Buy one what?

Are you saying that you have 2 antenna, and 3 scanners already? What do you need to buy? Are you looking for a special 2-3 connector?

I've heard of 1 antenna to multiple scanners, and multiple antennas to 1 scanner, but your question is new to me.

Can you clarify a bit?

What types of antennas and scanners do you have?

N

N_Jay

What exactly are you trying to do?
What do you expect the results to be?

Here is where I used to say: "Put as much thought into your question, as you hope people will put into the answer", but some here have said that I was not being nice, so I won't say it.

robertpearsall

Premium Subscriber
What i want to do is connect 3 scanners to 2 antenns i found a muti that lets you connect 1 antenna to multu scanners but i have 2 antennas and want to connect 3 scanners any suggestions

robertpearsall

Premium Subscriber
All I would like to know is if anyone can suggest how to connect 2 antennas to 3 scanners if it is at all possible. If this is possible, please provide a link where to buy what would be needed.

N

N_Jay

This is a fabulously concise way to state that concept. I think that should be officially added to the "Forum Rules and Etiquette" thread.

No way.

I have been told it rude.:twisted::lol::twisted:

N

N_Jay

All I would like to know is if anyone can suggest how to connect 2 antennas to 3 scanners if it is at all possible. If this is possible, please provide a link where to buy what would be needed.

Can you give me a little more information?

{spoon_feed=verbose}
What antennas?
Why 2?
What bands are you interested in?
What is not acceptable about one antenna on each scanner?
{spoon_feed=normal}

AlmostHandy

Well, I'm not sure a device exists that does specifically that, but you could get three of these splitters, which state that they also work as an antenna combiner if you use the ins as outs and the outs as ins. I made a crappy little diagram to show you how you can hook them up. Obviously it's not to scale, it just shows three splitters, each with an in and two outs, and how to connect them to 2 antennas and three scanners.

I'm sure that there are flaws with this plan, and the smarter folks here should be quick to help if I do happen to be wrong (it happens:lol:)

W6KRU

The "connect 2 ants to 1 radio" sticky at the top of this board could provide a lot relevant info here. The short answer is: bad idea.

AlmostHandy

The "connect 2 ants to 1 radio" sticky at the top of this board could provide a lot relevant info here. The short answer is: bad idea.

Aye, I've read that. But check out this little gem.

The datasheet says that it allows the connection of one antenna to two radios, without the signals interacting. It also works in reverse to allow the use of two antennas with one scanner.

I bet it would work.:wink:

AlmostHandy

Oh jeez. I just checked a retailer for those splitters, and they're $140 bucks. I guess three of them is a really expensive solution.

N

N_Jay

I have one UHF & one 800mhz antenna, I would like to connect these 2 antennas to 3 scanners.

You can just combine them with a 2way TV splitter, and then split them with a 3 way at the bottom.

It is not perfect, but it should be ok.

You will get some loss. You might notice it, you might not. It depends on what you are trying to listen to.

If you are in a rural area away from broadcast, LMR and cellular towers, you may try a TV pre-amp on the common line to pick up a little gain.

Depending on the type of antennas and how they are mounted you may find you have a few directional nulls, but probably not that you would notice unless one ends up right on a signal you want.

W6KRU

Oh jeez. I just checked a retailer for those splitters, and they're $140 bucks. I guess three of them is a really expensive solution.

Don't believe the hype. Combining signals from 2 antennas with random phasing is not going to work. The combining of two specific band antennas with a diplexer is a different story.

N

N_Jay

Don't believe the hype. Combining signals from 2 antennas with random phasing is not going to work. The combining of two specific band antennas with a diplexer is a different story.

How can you declare that it "is not going to work: when he has not told us what "working" or "not working" is to him?

While I usually don't recommend combining antenna, most of the times people have asked it has been to get some specific issue resolved (e.g. pick up a site that one of the antennas will not get).

In this case, you will get some random signal cancellation, but as long as you are not looking for peak gain from either antenna, you random combination will may give you acceptable results.

Predicting EXACLY what the results will be is difficult if not impossible without a very detailed study of the set up.

Yes, using a frequency specific combiner (diplexer) will yield better results. About 3 dB less signal loss, and a much lower probability of signal cancellation on any particular frequency in any particular direction.

P.S. Since the antennas were described as frequency band specific, the diplexer is not absolutely necessary.

W6KRU

How can you declare that it "is not going to work: when he has not told us what "working" or "not working" is to him?

While I usually don't recommend combining antenna, most of the times people have asked it has been to get some specific issue resolved (e.g. pick up a site that one of the antennas will not get).

In this case, you will get some random signal cancellation, but as long as you are not looking for peak gain from either antenna, you random combination will may give you acceptable results.

Predicting EXACLY what the results will be is difficult if not impossible without a very detailed study of the set up.

Yes, using a frequency specific combiner (diplexer) will yield better results. About 3 dB less signal loss, and a much lower probability of signal cancellation on any particular frequency in any particular direction.

P.S. Since the antennas were described as frequency band specific, the diplexer is not absolutely necessary.

I declared that it would not work because I made an assumption that he is not looking for improvement on a specific frequency. IF he is then he might be able to do what he wants. This would require a lot of the information you asked for earlier.

The diplexer might not be necessary but it would sure be beneficial. I say that because a low band vhf antenna will receive some 800 MHz signal and if it is the wrong distance from the real 800 antenna its sgnal will cancel some of the signal from the 800 antenna. The diplexer would block some of the 800 signal coming from the vhf antenna thus reducing the cancellation of the out of phase signals.

N

N_Jay

I declared that it would not work because I made an assumption that he is not looking for improvement on a specific frequency. IF he is then he might be able to do what he wants. This would require a lot of the information you asked for earlier.

The diplexer might not be necessary but it would sure be beneficial. I say that because a low band vhf antenna will receive some 800 MHz signal and if it is the wrong distance from the real 800 antenna its sgnal will cancel some of the signal from the 800 antenna. The diplexer would block some of the 800 signal coming from the vhf antenna thus reducing the cancellation of the out of phase signals.

I can almost agree with you if you said "not work well", but saying that it will "not work" is wrong.

What is the probability of a signal on either band coming into the other antenna at EXACTLY the same amplitude and 180 deg out of phase.

He already has a slight advantage as each antenna will be several dB down on the other band.

Yes, I diplexer or other tuned combiner is the right way.

If we knew exactly what type of antennas we might even make other recommendations.

W6KRU

I can almost agree with you if you said "not work well", but saying that it will "not work" is wrong.

What is the probability of a signal on either band coming into the other antenna at EXACTLY the same amplitude and 180 deg out of phase.

He already has a slight advantage as each antenna will be several dB down on the other band.

Yes, I diplexer or other tuned combiner is the right way.

If we knew exactly what type of antennas we might even make other recommendations.

I agree with you. "Not work" was not technically correct.

Signals do not have to be 180 deg out of phase to combine the wrong way. If they are out by 90 deg then 3db of signal would be lost from the main signal??? Not sure about that number as I'm not real good at math.

N

N_Jay

I agree with you. "Not work" was not technically correct.

Signals do not have to be 180 deg out of phase to combine the wrong way. If they are out by 90 deg then 3db of signal would be lost from the main signal??? Not sure about that number as I'm not real good at math.

I would have to look at a sin/cos table, but I don't think 90 deg is 3 dB, however even if that was true, first they would have to be at the same level (which would be unusual given the antennas are built for different bands), AND even then, most signals that people are at all satisfied listening to on a scanner have at least 6 dB of margin.

So once again, it is for from an optimum setup, but more then likely one that would work satisfactorily, and one that then be easily improved later.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.