if someone could point me in the right direction it would be great

best base and best mobile is what i want to know and where to buy it

thanks

n5ims

what i need is the very best antenna for both
if someone could point me in the right direction it would be great

best base and best mobile is what i want to know and where to buy it

thanks

Define "Best". The best antenna for a repeater or remote base would not be the best antenna for someone who's under the restrictions of a HOA. Also what may be best for you may not be best for me and neither may be best for someone else. If you state in your question what you're trying to accomplish, we can provide several of the "best" answers. It was good you provided frequency information, this is critical to providing any answer at all.

Since you're interested in VHF-Hi & UHF, here are some possibilities. These are based on these assumptions:
* You're interested in a single antenna solution for both bands.
* You're asking about two seperate antennas, one for mobile and one for your base.
* You're interested in a receive-only solution.
* You're interested in signals in a "typical" range, not attempting to pick up signals from distances that would require specialized antennas.
* You desire an omni-directional antenna.

Mobile is fairly simple, several different ones would do. I would generally recommend a Larsen NMO 2/70 and a NMO mount.

Base is a bit more complex, but there are several that will fill do there as well. You can choose a Scantenna or Discone, which generally provide minimal gain (if any) but cover a wide frequecy range. You could also select a dual band Ham antenna that would provide some gain. There are several discussions on the Scantenna and Discone so I'll not provide links there, but here are some dual band ham links:

* Texas Towers, Comet GP-9 Page
* Texas Towers, Cushcraft AR-270B Page
* AES Prices

Hopefully this will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.