Snoop Scanner Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I found this antenna on ebay and it is terrific. I live near a cell tower and have not been able to pull in 800Mhz signals at all (Mainly what I need to hear). I bought this antenna and moved it around on the wall with masking tape unitl I found the best reception and it works perfectly. It uses RG-58/U coax, not the cheap little wire stuff you see in these type of antennas. At less than $30 its the best buy in scanning.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
You DO realize that those are just a piece of wire inside a PVC pipe, right?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Didn't PT Barnum say there's a sucker born every minute? Looks like he was right....73 Mike

Gbcue

What's inside? I'm sure it's easy to build. Any how-to instructions available?

peterjmag

Who cares what it's made out of! He was just stating that it works for him. That doesn't make him a sucker either. I just love the self appointed radio reference judges! Jesus! psssffffttt!

N

N_Jay

Who cares what it's made out of! He was just stating that it works for him. That doesn't make him a sucker either. I just love the self appointed radio reference judges! Jesus! psssffffttt!

Maybe all he needed was to use the attenuator setting?

I know a lot of people don't like telling someone they got suckered because it might make them feel bad, :evil:

and other love telling someone they were suckered because it makes them look smarter; :twisted:

it does not change the fact they got suckered.:wink:

fantasma25

Why are people always so quick to come back with a smart*** responses? This site should be about helping and understanding that not everyone is at the "expert" level that you guys are at. Comments like these only discourage the newcomers from posting anything.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Right on and you too Fantasma. Aren't all antennas just wire or metal configured in certain ways...? What makes one more OK to purchase than another. It got the job done for the OP and he's happy. SWMPMAN, glad you found the solution you were looking for at a price that you liked.

N

N_Jay

Right on and you too Fantasma. Aren't all antennas just wire or metal configured in certain ways...? What makes one more OK to purchase than another. It got the job done for the OP and he's happy. SWMPMAN, glad you found the solution you were looking for at a price that you liked.

I guess the issue is that antennas are not "just wire or metal configured in certain ways", they are elements configured in very specific ways depending on the desired results.

Antennas like this, much like "magic diet pills", "fuel line magnets", and many other such do-nothing (or do-little) product's principle purpose is to take more money from the customer than the product costs, primarily by leveraging the fact that many people do not understand the principles involved.

Maybe I'm the odd case, but I would rather be told I was wrong once and learn how not to be taken advantage of again, than to be left unknowing.

But this is a discussion for the wasteland.

As for the OP, glad it works for you. One of the confusing issues with receivers is that often a "worse" antenna can perform better for some very specific needs.

And to the group, has anyone opened one of these things to expose the magic inside. That would help us all.

Last edited:

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
You are implying the OP is "wrong" ? I disagree but then we usually do.
Your first line merely restated what I had already said, great, it is very specific config but it is all configured metal. His seems to be configured in a way that works for him but to the dislike of a few subsequent posters.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
You are implying the OP is "wrong" ? I disagree but then we usually do.
Your first line merely restated what I had already said, great, it is very specific config but it is all configured metal. His seems to be configured in a way that works for him but to the dislike of a few subsequent posters.

I don't think anyone is implying that the OP is "wrong". I think what's at issue here is the amount of self-generated hype that appears on the eBay listings of the folks that sell these things. It's far too much hype and hot air than a piece of pvc pipe with a wire inside deserves to get.

Now, if they were listed as "wire antenna conveniently mounted in PVC pipe, works ok as a temporary indoor scanner antenna", then I would admire the seller's honesty. But then, they wouldn't be able to charge as much for that, would they.

smason

Why are people always so quick to come back with a smart*** responses? This site should be about helping and understanding that not everyone is at the "expert" level that you guys are at. Comments like these only discourage the newcomers from posting anything.

You must be new here. :) :)

hoser147

I don't think there is one person on this board that can actually state that as long as they have been in the hobby, that they haven't gotten something along the way that didn't work the way they expected. Or once they got something found out later that it wasn't worth a plug nickel. Sure you could build it probably pretty easily, but some don't want to mess with it. They must sell a bunch of them, judging from the ebay add and the times its been on the forums here. There are still the questions, whats on the inside?? Ive tinkered with antenna's with pvc as an outside cover works great to protect the elements. Njay said it pretty well in post #11. Its all about the magic and what tricks work for you.

NJexit16e

I found this antenna on ebay and it is terrific. I live near a cell tower and have not been able to pull in 800Mhz signals at all (Mainly what I need to hear). I bought this antenna and moved it around on the wall with masking tape unitl I found the best reception and it works perfectly. It uses RG-58/U coax, not the cheap little wire stuff you see in these type of antennas. At less than $30 its the best buy in scanning.

Hey Ohio! ... i bought the same antenna on ebay and it works GREAT! And in reality these scanner screwheads are right, it is just a wire inside a piece of PVC pipe with some cable and a BNC connector, and in reality , i could have made it myself .. easily... but im lazy, so instead of going out to the nearest store to find all those items and (here thats a specialty store around 20 miles away) then coming back home and looking for a soldering gun and various tools to construct it, I just clicked on ebay from my couch and then it arrived, still on the couch.....lol... im very lasy, so for $24.99 it came and i hung it up and never left the house! That to me is PRICELESS!! YOU SUCKERS!! Its all good.

GO BUCKEYES!

Francosis

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I didn't know Snoop Dog was into scanner antennas, must not be making much cash from his rap songs lately.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Dig it up !

Thanks for replying to a three year old thread. I don't even use this antenna anymore.

P.S. I don't pay much attention to the "jerks" that use this site. They know who they are.

Most of our members are very knowledgeable and quite respectful. It's just a handful of jerks that screw with people because they don't have a life.

SCPD

QRT
I love when people post rude comments...they would never tell something like that to your face...but they'll post it online. And I love my snoop antenna. Sure its made of things from the hardware store... but I dont have PVC glue, a soldering iron.. or any other supplies necessary, so in the grand scheme of things this wasnt a bad buy at all

Status
Not open for further replies.