Antenna Choice Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBill1963

I have recently upgraded to a Pro 106 scanner and I am really enjoying it. I also will be closing on my new home this week, but I a bit concerned about my reception since the new house in in a small gorge. I've done lots of research, and it seems a discone antenna would be a good choice. It seems like the Diamond, and Scanmaster WBD-40 are popular choices. I'm looking for suggestions before I actually buy anything. Also any good dealers to buy the equipment including coax. What would be a good coax too? I've read so many things my head is spinning. Oh, by the way I'm in upstate NY where snow and ice are common place in the Winter months.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Hoofy

The type of antenna is going to be determined by what frequencies you want to hear and how far away they are.

You might get by with something in your attic but you need to list some more info.

BigBill1963

The type of antenna is going to be determined by what frequencies you want to hear and how far away they are.

You might get by with something in your attic but you need to list some more info.

Sorry, most everything I listen to is 150-155 and 800-855. They will be about 20-25 miles from our new place, but there is a big hill in between and we will be in the end of a small gorge.

ReCall

Bill
I have to tell ya that the Discone is not the first antenna I'd test for the 106, the 106 is a little hot in some parts of the US and the discone may pull in more than you want, lot of junk in the air.
I have 3 discone in the attic and they are only fair on the 106's for 800mhz, but worked better on the UHF/VHF, but I still get some over load for the 153mhz junk, So I made up 4 antenna's for the 106's, 800/450mhz and I'm working with the wilson yagi.

Bill I'd take the Pro106 to the new home with a stock antenna and see how it work, if it's the 800's your looking at get the RS-800, move up slow, sometimes "more is less" with the Pro106 and antenna's, with over load that is,

Now that's in my backyard, I don't know about your

Good luck with the new Home

ReCall

Zard0z

Omni X

Bill,

Since you mentioned a broadband antenna take a look at this one OMNI X > DPD Productions - Scanner Antennas

or the LP. Depending on your budget.

The key to where you are at is gonna be how high you can get your antenna. The OmniX is
built to take it and is fairly light so you can put it on a long pole with limilted support wires.

The LP will be much harder to get up high.

I listen mainly to 450-462 and 800 and it does great.

Status
Not open for further replies.